The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Psylo

x x

I've never seen the seed, probably because i haven't bothered to look but i can send you some plants if you like.

Its not an aquatic but it does like constant moisture & seems to prefer the shade under other plants, gingers, pipers & the like.

• Like 1

Whatever you do, keep it in a pot. Very weedy, and yes it prefers moisture, however I had it invade a very dry cacti garden such that I could not eradicate it, so moisture is certainly not essential. The way it spreads and breaks apart, digging it up is not an easy task.

All my local bunnings sell it, in the Herb Herberts range, orange pots. I think they label it Arthritis herb on the front of the tag. Actually that HH range is pretty good, they have brahmi, a few types of artemisia, some heirloom herbs etc.

Edit: 2nd entry on this page, linky: http://www.herbherbert.com/cgi-bin/content.pl?searchfield=special&where=0&title=2

Edited by Alice
  • Like 1

its a weed in QLD. My green house is full of it.

I often nibble on a leaf or two while i'm scratching about in the garden & it often gets tossed in the salad bowl or in with the veg to be steamed.

Not my favorite of greens but certainly not least my favorite.

I have a bit growing up the back, I make it a habit to scoff a few leaves each day.

I got onto after reading about Li Ching-Yuen who used it daily and was said to have lived to 256, they reckon he outlived 23 wives.

The main reason I used it because I have no cartilage (menisci) in my knee and it is a great anti-inflammitory without it I really struggle but if I eat it daily I can still lift weights with only minor problems. I really don't like the tase that much but I struggle without it, so it's a minor issue compared to the benefits.

http://search.yahoo....nfoGotuKola.htm

• Like 2

SallyD have you tried (true) Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) as well? My understanding is they have very similar properties and northern Indians even refer to Gotu as Brahmi I think the name is quite interchangeable depending on where you come from in India. Bacopa taste really awful compared to gotu but.

No I've never tried the Brahmi Stillman, not uprocessed anyway. I have had it dried in capsule form but it didn't agree with me. I'm not sure if it was the herb or something else that could have been in the mix.

If you get it from the wild (gotu) be sure to get a positive ID as there are a few common lookalikes that are often confused for Gotu

yeah I think I have at least 1 other look alike in my backyard. I'm not a massive fan of Gotu, but I like Bacopa just don't eat it on an empty stomach as I find the fresh leaf can make you feel a little ordinary if you haven't eaten.