The Corroboree
sc001

Growing Psychotria viridis Plant advice needed?????

hey all

i just purchased a established Psychotria viridis Plant, which is about 20 cm tall. Now because of season the leaves have dried up and hanging loose, so im wondering where should i keep the plant. atm its in my room about 1 meter away from 2 lights 1 warm light and one cool light fluorecent.

where i live weather is very dry and in the holsue the reverse cycle air con is on about 20 degrees, but the air is dry. Iv got a old matress package which is clear plastic which i can use as a humidity tent, is it necesary?

also i saw a clear see through jelly like worm which was hanging around on the leaves, didnt want to remove it incase if its good for the plant?

I doubt the plant needs worms to survive :P haha

But yes, the plant ought to be kept moist at all times - see this recent thread of the same nature (chacruna is a traditional name for this plant). Check out the link I posted on there for some basic growing advice.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33083

• Like 2

I doubt the indoor aircon enviro would be to its benifit. Might even do better outside in semi sun

But yes, the plant ought to be kept moist at all times - see this recent thread of the same nature (chacruna is a traditional name for this plant). Check out the link I posted on there for some basic growing advice.

http://www.shaman-au...showtopic=33083

who said "survive"? but depending on what worm, they have some positive effect for the plant, they eat the fungi or bd bacteria or something along those lines thats why i gave the description of the worm

I doubt the indoor aircon enviro would be to its benifit. Might even do better outside in semi sun

at the moment its cold, rainy and dry outside with little sunshine thats why its inside

at the moment its cold, rainy and dry outside with little sunshine thats why its inside

rainy AND dry!?

• Like 2

My pyschotrias have been doing alright under cover outdoors so far this winter, leaves have drooped but they're still alive and still growing just at a microscopic rate. The others in a tub in a greenhouse look much healthier, gonna put them in pots once it warms up a bit.

my plants are all almost 1 year old now grown from leaves.

I'm growing alba and cartha though

So yeah.. the ones in the greenhouse look healthier but the ones just under cover still have their leaves (and one plant's leaves recently sprang back upto attention with some of the warmer days we've been having :) )

rainy AND dry!?

the air is dry i ment, as in not humid, and cold

My pyschotrias have been doing alright under cover outdoors so far this winter, leaves have drooped but they're still alive and still growing just at a microscopic rate. The others in a tub in a greenhouse look much healthier, gonna put them in pots once it warms up a bit.

my plants are all almost 1 year old now grown from leaves.

I'm growing alba and cartha though

So yeah.. the ones in the greenhouse look healthier but the ones just under cover still have their leaves (and one plant's leaves recently sprang back upto attention with some of the warmer days we've been having :) )

at the moment i have it in my room with a long narrow clear plastic bag over with 2 holes at top, which act as ventilation holes. and i water it in the morning and night, and i wet the leaves several times a day as well, hoping thats alright

Edited by sc001

I have friends who grow this indoor successfully under the same conditions as sallyd (when it was legal) indoors. Well draining soil (cactus soil +perlite) and mists several times a day. They are booming too, next time i visit ill take a pic, its in a portable greenhouse with 250w warm/cool cfls as support

D00d

I have friends who grow this indoor successfully under the same conditions as sallyd (when it was legal) indoors. Well draining soil (cactus soil +perlite) and mists several times a day. They are booming too, next time i visit ill take a pic, its in a portable greenhouse with 250w warm/cool cfls as support

D00d

can you also find out where you get the portable green house? there doesnt seem to be naywhere other than bunnings that sell these things but they dont have it

Crazy clarks and sams warehouse have real cheap ones sometimes. Otherwise you can find them on ebay as well.

http://www.newleafgardenclub.com/garden-store-greenhouses.php

A local company that sells them. They are pretty fairly priced too even with shipping. Wish i found them before i bought my last few portables.

http://www.crazysales.com.au/tall-apex-roof-greenhouse-4-tier-xj-1023.html

these 4 tier ones are probably what you would be looking for? Nice and easy to maintain a good level of moisture etc.

Is there any concern growing inside a greenhouse with lights in relation to condensation and moisture on the electrics or are you putting the globes on the outside?

hey all

i just purchased a established Psychotria viridis Plant, which is about 20 cm tall. Now because of season the leaves have dried up and hanging loose, so im wondering where should i keep the plant. atm its in my room about 1 meter away from 2 lights 1 warm light and one cool light fluorecent.

where i live weather is very dry and in the holsue the reverse cycle air con is on about 20 degrees, but the air is dry. Iv got a old matress package which is clear plastic which i can use as a humidity tent, is it necesary?

also i saw a clear see through jelly like worm which was hanging around on the leaves, didnt want to remove it incase if its good for the plant?

as others already mentioned, aircon is bad for viridis. humidety tent would be needed, but has downsides aswell.

your worm, probably is bad, it might be a fungus gnat larvae.

on top, to my own findings, all worms are bad in pot's as the clog up the drainage holes, and on top create thermo (water) lines.

those are areas were soggy potting mix meets up with drier potting mix, and all plants hate that.

hope springs eternal...something, something.....

post-9779-0-07018900-1348022120_thumb.jp

definitely seen those 3 or 4 shelf mini greenhouse thingys at crazy clarks recently 15bucks me tinks

post-9779-0-07018900-1348022120_thumb.jpg

post-9779-0-07018900-1348022120_thumb.jpg

Edited by eatingsand

http://www.shaman-au...showtopic=33083

I've been careful not to overwater mine of late...Seems happier for it.

Filtered light, humidity.... Maybe sing to it or play music to it too (if you're into that kinda thing) :wink:

• Like 2

i agree with essellbee, it's rather good to have the moisture content of the soil (and air) in cycles, than always moist and well watered.

my own view is that, a once in a while stressed plants will contain more activas.

aswell viridis can die from soggy conditions, but a plant which was kept far too dry, over a long periode (loosing all above ground growth) will reshoot after ample water was given. but an overwatered will never come back to life.

keeping moist at all times, could mean, you water once you noticed a bit of wilting, and with this i agree.

keeping the soil well watered all of the time, i disagree with. :) if the soil is kept too dry all of the time, she will hate it, and stopp growing.

don't think it always rains in the amazone, and even if you spoil a viridis in the amazone with water, it will contain less activas than a, plant which is mildly stressed once in a while.

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

I have my Chacruna in a small greenhouse with some wet clay-granulate on the ground. under the greenhouse is a heating mat, to make a high humidity by the wet clay-granulate in it.

as light source i have an energy saving 120W- growconsole, but the greenhouse for the chacruna is shaded with many layers flyscreen

many chacrunas sold as plants are Psychotria alba instead, which often flowers with very small white flowers, has smaller leaves than P. viridis and the leaves are often wrinkled.

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1

thanks,

the humidity is most important,

but although it likes a humid environment, waterlogging kills it. Only pour water when its getting dry at the surface and give it a substrate with good drainage.

The PH is also important: If using tap water for long time, the substrate gets alkaline, so ideal is rain water in clean areas or distilled water with some organic fertilizer sometimes.

th_303124132_Psychotriaviridisecht7_122_82lo.JPG

th_303162434_Psychotriaviridisecht8_122_10lo.JPG

th_303204280_Psychotriaviridisecht9_122_411lo.JPG

Edited by mindperformer
  • Like 1

it likes humidety, but plants which have to endure dry conditions, seem to have a higher rate of activas.

i find leaves from glasshouses dissapointing, whilst plants which are water stressed and have to endure low humidety AT TIMES, smell (skatol)dmt like.

who noticed, dimitri smell with there viridis?

nobody? well, i told you, what makes them stronger, beliving me, i can't do.

hot house culture is soooo much easier, that's why, nobody has strong viridis, hehehe.

Edited by planthelper

thanks,

the humidity is most important,

but although it likes a humid environment, waterlogging kills it. Only pour water when its getting dry at the surface and give it a substrate with good drainage.

The PH is also important: If using tap water for long time, the substrate gets alkaline, so ideal is rain water in clean areas or distilled water with some organic fertilizer sometimes.

th_303124132_Psychotriaviridisecht7_122_82lo.JPG

th_303162434_Psychotriaviridisecht8_122_10lo.JPG

th_303204280_Psychotriaviridisecht9_122_411lo.JPG

nice photos. where did you get the humidity container or did you just make one?

yes fish tanks (nano-boxes)