The Corroboree
Stillman

Datura metel var fastuosa

Interested indeed, as i have recieved some of those yellow triple flower seeds from bullit also.

I'll have a go at crossing them if you do stillman? Then we will have either twice the results or twice the failure.

Im struggling to picture what they would look like..

Mottled? Brown? Half yellow, half purple? Yellow/purple stem with purple/yellow ruffles?

Surely nature would produce something extravagant with two complementary colours.

I heard they come out Mottled pink and yellow or purple and white?

Had a couple shocking storms over the weekend which really smashed the garden around, I have a few nice blooms get smashed off the plants. They are starting to produce some nice variation of triple blooms.

DSCF2004-1.jpg

DSCF2005-6.jpg

DSCF2001-6.jpg

the 4 plants have consistently produced triple blooms but only about 5 flowers in total have been completely capable of opening the final petal, to allow for cross pollination.

• Like 2

these 2 crosses r called ''box of chocolate'' u can get alsorts of colour from 1 plant!

• Like 1

Thats from 1 plant? Interesting, looks like the D chlorantha really tames the purple down in that cross. I wonder if it was chlorantha x fastuosa

because I would imagine the reverse cross might be more purple? (Only assuming that the offspring would be more likely to side with the mother genetics then the Father?)

different plants same mum!! var. muricata x fastuosa i think??? :blink:

• Like 1

Ok.... so, I get to enjoy the scent, & the colour...

post-11175-0-87515100-1355292924_thumb.j

It's taken a bit...but is definately worth it.. :wub:

post-11175-0-49274600-1355292954_thumb.j

I'm going to put the largest one in an XLarge "waterwell" pot, this arv & let it really go to town.

The others can go into the ground & I'll see how they fare in different growing scenarios e.g. full sun/part sun

I'm wondering how large they can get...I'm imagining they'll really power on from this point ...

Just gotta keep that water handy :)

post-11175-0-87515100-1355292924_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-49274600-1355292954_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-87515100-1355292924_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-49274600-1355292954_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

nice space!! they grow around a metre ! if ya live southeast Q they hate ful sun <> wilt hard from tha humid. the books say they grow in ful sun and dont mind bein dry, i water every morn/arvo! fuck now i only have 2 foot of water left in me tank arrrrrr no bathz 4 tha kidz just my datura gurls hahaha

• Like 4

They are great hey, that sweet smell of the flower in the evening in summer is awesome. I can't wait to try and make some hybrids with those yellows of Bullits.

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 2

yo still, my tripple white have sum buds!!!! and just hav planted sum double light violet/ whites hope they pop up??!?!?!??

• Like 1

fuck now i only have 2 foot of water left in me tank arrrrrr no bathz 4 tha kidz just my datura gurls hahaha

Good to see you've got your priorities straight Bullit, smelly children are easier to cope with than dead daturas lol.

• Like 3

Bullit's Triple Yellow seeds

(Datura metel chlorantha)

DSCF2011_zpsb8650ba7.jpg

ANd have you all noticed mutated shapes in the seed pods? I have been pretty ruthless and removed most of my sedpods only collecting from fullu open triple blooms, and all of them have this same conjoined little bump? Not sure if there is a correlation to better pollination or its just a random thing?

DSCF2013_zpsaf986fe0.jpg

DSCF2016_zpsdd20c98d.jpg

• Like 2

Mine finally flowered! Got a bit excited with the camera dismorning. :lol:

6Nsw7.jpg

VU4W2.jpg

KvZKJ.jpg

vdoXi.jpg

XITy4.jpg

• Like 5

Nice stuff were'd you get your seed? from NZ or over the ditch?

Bought this plant as a seedling from here. Not sure of their seed source.

But I did get hold of a couple seeds that are now young growing plants which I believe originated from one of you guys.

• Like 2

picz

• Like 2

hahaha most of the seed came from me i reckon .... my favorite all time flower... gave a heap away waay back

• Like 1

i did a give away with these seeds not too long ago to. Really nice to see how beautiful they turned out!

• Like 2

My first pod split open today. Should I bag it and leave it dry on the bush or can I cut it off and leave it dry elsewhere? Also once the seed pod dries out should I bag them up and put them in the freezer or just bag them up and put them somewhere cool and dry

DSCF2013_zps3b836d3e.jpg

dont let them explode !!!! the pods will crack open a lil more without seeds droppin, u can bag them now or just watch them open a lil more till the pod turns a little brown <> only takes a day or hours for this to happen. cut tha pod off and dry out in warm dry spot.

oi still ya growin them in pots?? the 1s i grow in the ground i let tha pods crack and drop sum seeds on the ground b4 i harvest the pods . the seeds that drop on the soil [ only the late season pods 4 next year] will sprout alot better than the seed u fuk around with.. i pluck them out of tha ground and pot up they grow much better then my collected seeds i!!! the seed i save i just put them in a zipp in my pantry next too my spices for tha next time i cook a curry hahahaha

• Like 1

yeah I'm growing in pots. I'm going to plant out about 10 from this seed batch as soon as they are dry. I'm hoping I will get quick germination. Do you think cold stratification is necessary of just give them a soak overnight and plant them out? This time I'm putting them in Massive pots.

• Like 1

i dont soak or do nothing with fresh seeds just plant them out > they should pop up real fast! save me sum!!!!

• Like 1

I'll definitely put aside some for you man, should be a few in that pod and another one thats ripening up fast as well.

• Like 1

I have these disgusting caterpillars (I think moths) smashing my Daturas, they eat and they seem to die while moulting and turn into snotty mess on the leaves but there is heaps of them. Which although a good outcome (their death) it still doesn't change the fact they are eating holes in my babies leaves. Have had some sweet triple flowers and have allowed the seed pods to form on my fastuosa and the yellows are getting massive so another month and I hope I can start my hybridising program. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 2