The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
levicacti

Growing A. floribunda's in pots

As someone that loves acacia's but is forever renting i'm wondering if anyone has had much luck growing and maintaining mature acacia's in pots even if kept as more of a bush or something.

I have three small floribunda seedlings and they are doing a lot better than my couple of acuminata's, and one obtusifolia which looks very nice at this young stage but cant imagine successfully getting that to maturity in a pot.

The floribunda's seem to have a much more compact growth habit so far too which is also why i think they should be able to be grown to maturity in a pot.

Also i have read that there is a commercial dwarf variety of floribunda that only gets to 1m tall or so does anyone know if this actually exists and if its available?

Its nice growing them from seed but without anywhere to plant them in the ground it seems pretty futile.

Cheers.

You could grow any of them in 100 litre bags to maturity without too much trouble I imagine

Yeah that's not a bad idea, i guess its just a matter of being a big enough pot or bag but so far floribunda definitely seems to be the best suited for pots.

And if that dwarf variety is available anywhere it would be great to see how it does.

ime acacias like depth for their root system, they don't really tend to spread out much. but a maxi tub with a few holes would also do the job

never heard of a dwarf varient, any more info?

Edited by bulls on parade

On the Australian National Botanic Gardens web site under the floribunda entry for commonly grown acacia's it says under cultivation "A dwarf form which only reaches about 1m high is available commercially. It forms a dense rounded shrub".

Sounds good to me but whether its actually available or not is another question.