The Corroboree
Rahaha

Acacia ID please

Question

Hello everyone, first post :-]

These photos were taken some time in spring 2011, Ithink september. I dont think the tree is flowering at this time of year, and in the photos the flowers have been pretty beat up by the rain. Tree is growing right next to a tar road and golf course...

I'm in the tweed valley, northern NSW about 30 minutes in from the coast, it's a mostly rainforest environment

I found another tree just recently that i think might be flowering very soon, so I will probably be requesting more identifications

greatly appriciate any help you guys can give

post-11054-0-38836800-1328006418_thumb.j

post-11054-0-22101500-1328006438_thumb.j

post-11054-0-75587600-1328006461_thumb.j

post-11054-0-73402100-1328006489_thumb.j

post-11054-0-98405200-1328006512_thumb.j

post-11054-0-95216400-1328006535_thumb.j

post-11054-0-38836800-1328006418_thumb.jpg

post-11054-0-22101500-1328006438_thumb.jpg

post-11054-0-75587600-1328006461_thumb.jpg

post-11054-0-73402100-1328006489_thumb.jpg

post-11054-0-98405200-1328006512_thumb.jpg

post-11054-0-95216400-1328006535_thumb.jpg

post-11054-0-38836800-1328006418_thumb.jpg

post-11054-0-22101500-1328006438_thumb.jpg

post-11054-0-75587600-1328006461_thumb.jpg

post-11054-0-73402100-1328006489_thumb.jpg

post-11054-0-98405200-1328006512_thumb.jpg

post-11054-0-95216400-1328006535_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rahaha

20 answers to this question

Possibly A. longifolia

and welcome to the forum :)

thanks, so can you find the content of any particualar alkaloids in a way other than an extraction?

Edited by Rahaha

extractions are illegal and time consuming, a paper TLC test would be a legal way to find out

• Like 1

well no because that would be illegal...

Might just have to read the forum rules bud ^^^^what they said

but welcome

hmm, i think field tests for alkaloids are ok to do, anyway, if it's a plant with high dmt content, than just rubbing, or smoldering the phyllodes would reveal the characteristic dmt smell.

• Like 1

for someone unable to id something as clear as what you've posted, my advice would be be careful Rahaha,

DMT is odourless, so what you smelled is not DMT. The distinctive smell you are referring to is actually the breakdown products of dmt - skatol etc

The breakdown products of trimethyltryptophan smell pretty much the same, and this is a common substance in plants and probably responsible for many of the smell IDs.

Trimethyltryptophan is also a potent neurotoxin, which is why I am not thrilled about people identifying 'DMT' via the smell method.

thanks, so i guess the only way to really find out if it contins anything worthwhile is to do an extraction on it....?

if it's a roadside tree, leave it alone. i think id'ing trees like this for people that are too lazy to learn to use a simple key will not cause good things to happen

• Like 2

I dont know why be such an ass about it Bulls on parade, as i stated these photos were taken in september, in the time since then i have been searching the internet far and wide trying to find good information on how to classify differnt specicies of Acacia, if there is a 'simply' key to it, than please point me in the right direction.

and i'm sorry about my last comment i didnt intend for it to imply i was going to do an extraction, i guess i just asked the question in a very misleading manner, i will reword it

Edited by Rahaha

is TLC paper avalible at a pharmacy, what would i be looking for on the paper that would indicate the pressence of dmt?

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/

took me all of 5 seconds... I am still happy to help a noob out but if all you care about is the alkaloids maybe this is the wrong forum for you

i don't reckon he's being an ass. look at the facts. random internet user shows up, first post asking about acacia ID.. nothing wrong, it's just that you could be any one of 7 billion random humans.. then all you talk about is extractions & alkaloids..

you should realize that we see this all the time on this forum, random internet user shows up & asks about extracting chemicals from acacia's they've found which basically equates to them badly damageing or killing the tree.. sure, you might be a very consciencious thoughtful individual who is genuinely interested in these things for noble reasons & have no intension of irresponsibly damageing our native environment, but how could we possibly know that? & why would we believe that is the case when all we know about you is 4 posts in this thread...

every other day you see a new thread just like this one & the irresponsible defacment of the plants we know & love is becoming a real problem. it's become a epic fad in recent years & there are a lot of irresponsible people out there who couldn't give a flying fuck about the plants or much else.. not saying thats you, just that theres no reason why we shouldn't assume that you might fit that description.

i'm not trying to be an ass, really, i wish you luck, i'm sure you are a good person & your intensions are pure but as far as i'm concerned it's not worth the risk in spoon feeding information to random internet users.. it would be irresponsible of us not to be guarded about these things, it's nothing personal, i'm sure you get what i'm saying... if not then like jwerta said, maybe this isn't the right forum for you... if you care enough you will find the answers you seek, good luck :)

• Like 2

hmm, i know that pure dmt is said to be odorless, but i wanted to keep things easy, and non confusing.

the smell methode is very good, and can get you on the right track, it definately rules out a lot of competetors.

i never said, it's full proof, and never said it's a accurate methode for id'ing.

bull's, you are projecting onto me, deere, deere, me....

i still lubs you :lol:

same here! but i can't send you a :) as my pc say's smiley java script void.

oh, the short cut works, but i can't, click the smiley pop up's....

Edited by planthelper

Maybe your right, maybe i am an idiot about to go down and strip massive amounts of bark from acacias and kill them in the process. What i'm wondering is why bulls would simply state that he isnt going to give me any information, if you want stop people from destroying the plants maybe point them in the right direction and give them help rather than calling them lazy, that doesnt help anyone... bulls i'm still waiting for a reply in regards to the 'simple key' i would love to learn it, but i guess i'm not worth your time

...I have been on worldwidewattle before and while it did have a lot of good information i never found anything there on ways to tell apart differnt species

And i don't think i can use the burn method, i'm not familiar with the smell.

i think bull means a simple botanical identification key.. ie the principal means of identifying & understanding the differences between species of plants in a concise way... really man, theres only one way to go about it & thats to study up on these things, get out into the bush & figure it out first hand, in the beginning iding is a lot of trial & error, maybe get yourself a good native plant id book thats relevant to your area, learn how to decifer id keys (it's not very hard) & just get out there & enjoy yourself... the journey towards understanding these things is a lot more than half the fun!

people are just a little touchy about these things, like i said, don't take it personal.. too many humans just want to be spoon fed, instant gratification & all that... if you really want to learn then thats not gonna help you & if someone doesn't really want to learn then why should anyone help them? if everyone who just wanted to get high & came to a forum like this to ask about acacia id & extraction (theres millions of em) was just spoon fed where to go & exactly what to look for then there'd be none of these plants left & we'd just be perpetuating this pathetic & ignorant tendancy of so many people in this world to seek instant satiation of what they desire.. in the end that doesn't help anyone & would simply be a pile of bullshit.

like i said before, i'm not saying you're that person, how the hell would i know? it's just touchy man & it gets on peoples nerves.

you should read up on some basic botanical terms so you know what they are talking about when they are describing different parts/aspects of the plant etc that are very relevant for identification (any good id book will have a glossary also) erm, just googled this.. http://florabase.dec.wa.gov.au/help/glossary

er.. & this http://www.worldwidewattle.com/infogallery/identification/conventional.php

& this http://www.worldwidewattle.com/infogallery/identification/

• Like 1

Maybe your right, maybe i am an idiot about to go down and strip massive amounts of bark from acacias and kill them in the process. What i'm wondering is why bulls would simply state that he isnt going to give me any information

i have no interest arguing with you champ. i don't claim to have a priveledged understanding of these matters, but i can say i think the less people stripping bark from wild acacias the better. i'm not an expert but the information i have i found myself through methods accesable to anyone. the process of getting it revealed that indescriminately stripping trees is not the right thing to do, for both the environment and for the reputation of people who know how to harvest sustainably. so that's why i think giving info to people in your situation is not on. i'm not being nasty and calling you names, i just have no interest in doing that. all the best,

Edited by bulls on parade

And i don't think i can use the burn method, i'm not familiar with the smell.

i could be naughty here, and say, so you don't know how shit smells?

anyway, i totaly understand you, and trying to learn something new, is often a challange...

but, as it say's in a post above, the smell, is typical "skatol".

Ok well thanks everyone, i was just expecting differnt comments in a plant ID forum ;)

Most suspect trees i come across have a nice almost mosquito repellent smell... not pooy at all

i will look into TLC testing

Edited by Rahaha

what were you expecting, someone to say this is A. ........

youve been given heaps of help in the above posts in case you didnt realise, much more than

ive seen offered to most firstup requests like yours.

Find an Acacia key for your state like the one

here

for SA.

As well, all wattles have distinct inner seed pod configurations. Some are even named by this

eg A. cyclops. You said the pics of them flowering were taken in Sept- may still be some unoppened pods there.

Carefully butterfly the ripe pod before it naturally twists, splits & disperses its seeds, and have a look, take a pic. Ive seen

books (again on SA acacias) that illustrate that view of each. Bound to be something like that for your state.

Basically, do the work.

• Like 2