The Corroboree
Distracted

Beyond facebook, real life points for brushing your teeth!

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/44277/dice-2010-design-outside-the-box-presentation/

This is a talk about the convergence of gaming culture with everyday life.

The first 20 minutes are interesting to me as a gamer but it mainly talks about how facebook has changed the face of massively profitable gaming with relatively no work put in by using psychological tricks to entice players to keep playing and keep spending money.

Really the interesting/creepy part only comes at around the 21:00 minute mark and that's the reason i thought this discussion was threadworthy.

Can you envision a world like he describes? I've always thought I could be a lot more motivated to do long term things if I had an experience bar to monitor. Things like getting fit and gaining muscle, it's such a long term reward with no immediate payout for the hard work you're doing, if somehow I had a GUI that showed the progress I was making I think I'd be able to follow through and reach my goal.

With how our current society is structured I'd be afraid of the privacy violations though. I think if there can be some kind of middle ground, like an extremely obvious off switch maybe or limit what information can be sent and who it can be sent to then maybe it could work in our favour and not enslave us. I also see how there could be some major disparities if the rich are able to just buy their points anyway, but a system like this is to control the poor really, the rich can do what they want as they've always done.

So I know this forum is a mostly non-gamer forum so i'm interested to hear what your opinions are on this matter.

Scary.

That's my opinion on this matter, I feel almost a regret of the new phone i got yesterday.

But I think he's right! to some extent, I mean the big guys @ airplane companies had already started doing it 5-10yrs ago.

And they are the ones that pays the most money to consults and creative guys to come up with this kind of stuff!

Which will ultimately it will be best for every company or business.

And it's just spreading like wildfire. You can tell.

Very good talk!

thank you for sharing sir

Great video and concept thanks haha! I'm a game designer and my points are happiness but leveling up often needs money but I imagine for too many people, this GUI or experience meter would simply be their bank balance.

• Like 1

This is sick, the first thing i did after posting that comment was to go to a newspapersite and i randomly clicked on this (tbh it had boobs on the thumbnail)

this is just sick

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2075581/Strictly-Come-Dancing-final-Jason-Donovan-voted-Strictly-Come-Dancing-final-despite-topping-leaderboard.html

There you have it! right there, the points that we compete about, not really the dance, the most amount of points!

video wont load, though after reading the thread i wanna see it.

That's incredible, so thought-provoking. Thanks for posting.

Chnt, try this one: