The Corroboree
blog

Warning after Nimbin drug arrests

(press release)

Three men and two women have been arrested and charged following a five-month investigation into the illicit drug trade at Nimbin, near Lismore, on the state's north coast.

At 11.30am today, police from Richmond Local Area Command arrested the five in the main street of Nimbin and seized drugs, including cannabis cookies and leaf.

The arrests are the culmination of Operation Hurry, which was established last December to investigate people who might be involved in the ongoing supply of illicit substances to increasing numbers of tourists and backpackers visiting Nimbin.

Those arrested have been taken to Lismore Police Station and questioned by investigators.

Those arrested today are a:

· 45-year-old Nimbin woman

· 44-year-old Nimbin man

· 44-year-old Nimbin woman

· 43-year-old Nimbin man

· 47-year-old Larnook man

They have been charged with various offences, including supply and possess prohibited drugs, and granted conditional bail to appear in Lismore Local Court on 2 May 2011.

Further arrests are expected.

Richmond LAC Crime Manager, Detective Acting Inspector Matt Kehoe, said a large range of prohibited drugs have been seized during the course of Operation Hurry.

"Among the drugs allegedly seized were psilocybim (magic) mushrooms, cannabis, cannabis cookies, LSD, methylamphetmine and MDMA," Det A/Insp Kehoe said.

"Nimbin attracts a large volume of backpackers and tourists year round looking to experience the alternative lifestyle and who may come into contact with the drug trade in the township.

"The community can be assured that police will continue to run similar operations targeting the drug trade in Nimbin indefinitely."

Det A/Insp Kehoe said today's arrests are a timely reminder ahead of this weekend's Mardi Grass rally where a crowd of up to 5,000 people is expected.

"Police will be out in numbers this weekend and I remind anyone attending Mardi Grass that we will be in attendance and we will take appropriate action against anyone involved in selling or using prohibited drugs," he said.

Anyone with information about drug supply is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXqr07CG198

i visited Nimbin once in 1990.

i got out the Post Office van & walked into the Rainbow Cafe. Before i'd even sat down two kids, around 13 years old, had tried to sell me grass.

later i was offered heroin while walking down the street.

The Nimbin Hemp Bar's website has this to say:

If you buy cannabis try to avoid people who also sell other illicit drugs. In Nimbin a lot of heroin addicts sell cannabis on the streets to support their habit, often resulting in unsuspecting tourists being ripped off

http://www.nimbinhempbar.com/mission.html

Personally I couldn't care less if kids are selling marijuana or if heroin is easily available, but obviously the police don't, & i know that some ov the townsfolk are not entirely pleased w/the massive amount ov all kinds ov drug dealing that has gone on quite openly there.

Anyone with information about drug supply is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Doesn't mention illicit drug supply. I would hope crime stoppers gets flooded with calls about pharmaceutical importation timetables!

On another note - those people knew they were taking a risk, there's no way around it, they know the law.

• Like 1

I haven't been to Nimbin as a young adult yet but I reckon it's worth a look - any fans here? I've only ever passed through with my dad and friends of mine. He'd always leave us at the hotel/car/beach in that region and be gone for some hours... :wink:

I would hope crime stoppers gets flooded with calls about pharmaceutical importation timetables!

"I don't want to go on record but I heard the pharmacy at the local shopping centre is expecting a big delivery of benzos - not sure who the supplier is but this deal is goin' down and it's BIG!"

They'd probably end up raiding you if you rang up jokingly about something like that. :unsure:

Meh, they do it every year.

Just a handful of junkies picked up from the main street to show they are making an effort in the lead up to MardiGrass.

They should target the hard drug sellers all the time in Nimbin not just when the spot light is on, at least that may help to bring the place back to what it once was before Ice hit the town and changed it for the worse.

• Like 1

"I don't want to go on record but I heard the pharmacy at the local shopping centre is expecting a big delivery of benzos - not sure who the supplier is but this deal is goin' down and it's BIG!"

:lol:

5 months to find a drug dealer in nimbin? I couldn't even park my car the other day before I had 5 offers of LSD and pot. At this rate I presume the drug business in Nimbin is quite safe.

The times ive been there a bloke was gesturing to me BEFORE i got out of my car - i thought he wanted a head job but apparently the hand symbol that looked like sucking cock was a sign for dope. Everyone was selling and the cops knew all about it and didnt give a shizen. The whole economy of the town is half run on dickhead internationals coming in, smoking and buying dope and then fucking back off to touristville Byron bay. Sitting in the cafes acting like experienced and trendy dope smokers before fleeing via the buses.

Still I prefered them to the schizo bloke at the backpackers who spent half the night punching walls.

Sounds more like tokenism to me.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie