The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Thelema

Galbulimima bioassays

Thanks to reville who donated this to make these bioassays possible...

1)3 attempts were made to smoke the leaf material in joint fashion, with a distinctive "aussie" bush aroma to them. The smoke is palatable, but has a slight bushy harshness to it, and a slight numbing of the lips. The smoke on each occasion produced a mild state of intoxication, a +, but I was looking for something more...

2) a tea was made with 3 tablespoons of leaf, brewed for 10 minutes in boiling water. The tea was bitter, but increasingly and intoxicatingly more palatable. I began to feel like there was something in this plant but it needed more.

3) a 50c piece of bark was chewed, which is meant to contin the major alkaloid fraction of the plant. The taste was extremely bitter, almost so bitter it was HOT, reminding me of cinnamon or what I would imagine camphor to taste like.

30min in a distinct fussing of the edges of reality started to happen, with peripheral vision starting to blur, and an edginess creeping in that started to speak to me of tryptamine hallucinosis. More soon

well in a sense we have here a very useful problem created by me

I did send a sample to Thel, but included alongside it were samples of leaf and woody material from another collected plant, tabernaemontana orientalis.

It sounds to me like Thel ate the gal bark last and

like when i tried it fresh, got effects from a small amount. Reading the effects they mirror my own as does the description on taste and aroma thoughill confirm the taste is not like camphor or safrole but more resiny like pine. it is intensely bitter

i do recall feeling enlivened, more 'powerful', stronger

Id love to eat this and go trekking

we have a quantity destined for chem/genetic etc research purposes only but there will be enough for a few to have a chew at EB4 if u like. Im thinking of doing the same so itll be good to compare notes.

This is not a common tree being naturally rare. If u find it then plz dont start harvesting bark. The priority i think is to get it into cultivation

Ive seen where it grows and it tolerates colder conditions than most of our rainforest ethnobotanicals. Min winter temps of -2, -3 not unheard of.

look for the seeds in april/ may littered about the base of the tree in shades from orange yellow through to red, looking somewhat like a brazilian cherry in size and shape. Books say its eaten by cassowary or fruit pigeon and attempt to germinate from fresh seed failed those i talked to

The leaves were also used though i didnt collect them - pity as i could have had garbage bags full from the felled tops.

all bark was had from the buttress of several trees felled 3 months earlier and the bark was still alive and well but showing no indication of coppicing

I rarely label plant samples when i send so if u ask and get thing from me plz reconfirm identity b4 doing anything with them :)

you're not be the firts to have done this

[ 22. November 2004, 20:47: Message edited by: reville ]

germination is very slow and erratic, minimum of 6 months. seedlings r susceptible to fungus & damage 2 the radicle & hypocotyle equals slow death. fruit looks gr8,strawberry pink/red colour with raised white dots tastes very bitter & stains fingers bright orange for days...

Wow, cool, I never paid any attention to this plant.

You guys seen this chem paper yet?

http://www.organic-chemistry.org/frames.ht...2004/23Feb.shtm

Here's some background on the plant if you missed it like I apparently have:

http://www.entheology.org/edoto/anmviewer.asp?a=50&z=5

~Michael~

Yeah this is one of those holy grails of Aussie ethnobotany along with the good pituri, various tobaccos, the 3 native erythroxylums and more than few others...

Benjamin Thomas who is an authority of Galbulimima will be presenting a paper at EB4 next week.

I'm guessing seedlings are almost impossible to obtain in Oz???? (apart from a field expedition)

[ 26. November 2004, 18:30: Message edited by: Agamemnon ]

Benjamin just fell ill and probably won't be able to make it :(

I believe his galbulimima paper will still be published on his website (when I get time to put it up).

There will be a time for some sampling on sunday. I will provide some pituri I harvested and will have a look what other interesting things I can find in the garden

Damn, I would love to be a last minute replacement. And this time I can bring a boring Photopoint presentation to fit in.

Still dreaming,

~Michael~

Oh, PS, if I ever make it out there again don't expect me to be as reserved as I was last time. Hehehehehe.

~Michael~

Originally posted by M S Smith:

And this time I can bring a boring Photopoint presentation to fit in.

Are you saying the other presentations were boring???

No Torsten, only that I would be boring with a photopoint (which would cause me to "fit in" since the others used them). Now did I look bored at any of the presentations, no way man, I'm one attentive mother fucker if ever there was one. You know, I'm the type who was in the front row of the "Uni" asking all the questions while getting spit-balls smacked into the back of my head by the lazy students who just wanted to leave the room.

Damn, looks like I just blew my chances for a trip to Australia eh mates? :D

~Michael~

LOL. I was just teasing

It was obvious you had the time of your life!

10g of bark was ground up in a coffee grinder, the coffee grinder did me proud :) . the material was placed in a cup and equal amount of lemon juice was added followed by boiling water, this was left to cool down. it smells like a funny pine with nutmeg in it, i have a feeling its gonna taste like crap......

1:25pm

took my first sip, its not nice:S not as bad as peas though :) . drank half the glass. now im trying to cover the taste with anything i can find. the taste reminds me of somthing that is gonna come back up later. tastes like juiced calea but worse.

1:45pm

hmm effects maybe. i had a hard time getting rid of the taste so i got the most over powering taste i could think of, vegemite :) it worked.

1:55pm

drank the rest. yuck. slight effects but nothing great felt at this stage. my eyes feel duller.

2:05pm kinda trance like. Cant put a finger on what the effects are like though.

2:15pm well the effects are coming on now. i played a song i normally like listerning to when on drugs, it normally makes me shiver but this time that did not occur. my brain feels like its getting massaged inside my scalp. walking is interesting. i kinda feel devoid of emotion. hungrey also. i think the effects would go well with people on alcohol. i could dance on this aswell, music isnt a vibrent as on other drugs. looking at my media visualisations and they look to have more depth.

the effects seemed to peak at around 2:40pm. they were goin at 4pm and gone by 5pm leaving me really sleepy. not a headspace i liked being in, kinda stoned, drunk, feeling. i got some more bark left if somone else would like to try it pm me. thanks to thelma for the material

i think i may have left out an important detail, i said i got sleepy, well i actually couldnt stay awake, i had to sleep and when i dozed off i had extremely strange dreams that didnt feel totally like dreams, and time passed fast (probably cos i was asleep). the effects were like the higher scopolamine doses ive had (not enough to hallucinate).