The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Acacia phlebophylla visit

Michael Bock, myself and some friends went to Mt Buffalo to check the status of any remaining populations of Acacia phlebophylla subsequent to the bushfires in early 2003. As a few of you know, I am still working on a protocol both to micropropagate and identify possible nutrient disorders which are affecting cultivation efforts for this species. I went along for the ride, partly to see how the species is doing generally, and partly to see whether its wild form would give me some kind of cultivation or micropropagation hints.

Unfortunately I've never been there before and as this is my first visit I am hoping Michael will pitch in something to give a better idea as to the situation's real progress or lack thereof: it looked absolutely shithouse to me, and I hope this post makes people realise exactly how precious the remnant stands are. I've been a bit vague as to actual tree locations in order to discourage harvesting

We were a bit pressed for time, so only a couple of stands were checked closely

The first area has seen a moderately high amount of damage to individual plants and some small stands appear to have been wiped out on the left hand side of the walking track heading up the mountain. Two individuals have definitely survived above the track, though these ( including one famously mature and formerly healthy specimen ) are now showing signs of the fatal and so far unidentified ( ? ) galling. No obvious regeneration is present, either from seed or from mature specimens, and the very small handful of acacia seedlings sprouting are too immature to identify with any degree of accuracy.

Most of the trees on the left hand side facing the pool had escaped burning, though those on the upper right had succumbed completely and no regeneration was evident. Recent seed pods, healthy and green, were found in the pools there and perhaps these will offer hope for future regrowth

The area above the lookout was significantly impacted by the fires, and it looked as though both the temperature and intensity of the blaze had destroyed almost all vegetation including the phlebophyllas. From the appearance of vegetation on the slopes up from the road it looked as though the fire had crowned lower down and swept upslope destroying almost everything in its path- and almost no regeneration was evident for any species. One or two phlebophylla individuals- young adult plants, both galled, remained near the roadside and the rest of the population appears to have been decimated. I understand that there was a good sized population on that slope prior to the fires- and now there isnt.

The situation was mirrored below where we stood to some extent- the fire didnt seem to have been as thorough or hot, though only two or three young adult phlebophyllas were immediately visible and we couldnt ascertain as to whether they were gall affected. By this stage we had only enough time left on the mountain to manage a slow drive by, and we were extremely demoralised by the state of formerly healthy and comparatively large populations.

There was at least one area we didn't get to check closely, though we parked and did a reccie for a minute. The fire had crowned there too, though there was a significant amount of healthy regeneration of mature Eucalypt specimens near the area to convince me that the temperatures werent nearly as high as they were upslope. This population would be worth checking for damage and results there will hopefully be more heartening news

I've posted photographs of the trees we visited that were taken on the day and hope they will mean something to someone here

For me it didn't change a thing- the Acacia phelbophylla project is still very high priority, and I still understand it to be extremely endangered. And I didn't get any real clues from in vivio plants that would help with either micropropagation or tox analysis. But that won't stop us, and you'll hear more in the future as the TC work progresses- we're onto Jasper's new and rather spectacular media formulation from his EB3 and photos will be posted as they appear

Here we go with the image thing, I might have to muck around with this to see if it works

LRmount.JPG

I don't know if the above will give ppl familiar with the area a clue as to the extent of burned and scalded areas, but frankly I was up there looking at it I got the horrors. Have been through a few bushfires and was seriously glad I wasn't there

LRburn.JPG

This one may regen- most we saw trees were damaged much worse than this

LRfried.JPG

Heartbreaking...

LRgall.JPG

As was this- seen on one of the apparrantly better, healthier and more mature specimens

Gawd I hope all the graphics worked :rolleyes:

Please remember I am not a formally trained botanist, and that this is definitely NOT meant to be any kind of definitive post. Comments, additions and exceptions all welcomed

Darklight,can you expand upon 'galling',as I'm not familliar with these problems you're talking about...if I can help by planting this species,I have some room at home.

galls are disfigurements, maybe caused by wasp larvae. my block of land has good granite based soils and already supports a variety of wattle types, the mt buff is one i'm particularly interested in saving. makes one wonder how many salvage projects are afoot for this species given it's recent decline.

the salvage projects consisting of spreading seed to lots of people have failed dismally over the last 10 years and can be seen as simply a waste of seed. I think people who live in similar climate and have similar soil profiles are the best bet for seed based regeneration and ex situ conservation. Being able to establish a small patch of trees on a property that is protected from fires while suitable for this species would be the best way to ensure that there is a seed supply to bring back to Mt Buffalo when needed.

TC on the other hand is essential if the plant does not feel at home anywhere else.

It really does look grim from the photos.

Torsten:

the salvage projects consisting of spreading seed to lots of people have failed dismally over the last 10 years and can be seen as simply a waste of seed.

I don't know how many ppl- maybe twenty- have approached me requesting stock from my ( aging ) seed bank and saying they believe they'll have more luck with it as they're expert propagators.

Personally I don't think its a matter of expert propagation at all at this point- so far what we've identified ( and I'd be interested to hear others reports especially to the contrary )is that plants in cultivation die at around the three year age mark from something which evinced similar symtpoms ( there's a previous thread on this which explores a kind of chlorotic toxicity as a distinct possibility ).

A few ppl have given me verbal reports of a written report stating that phlebo's made an excellent street and garden tree in Vic, though I have yet to see the source document ( hint hint ). I'm starting to wonder if this isn't a case of mistaken identification being verbally replicated over the years. I'd be happy to be wrong, cos if I am it means there is hope via normal means of propagation

Possibly we are on the wrong track- maybe it *is* a damn fine ornamental specimen which grows extremely well only in in the ground in Melbourne, I'm very sure several ppl are working towards that hypothesis :) But good research isn't ever wasted, and once I get that goddamn research site up it may well galvanise enough interest to get an even more co-ordinated effort going- especially amongst the environmental and/or scientific community.

TC on the other hand is essential if the plant does not feel at home anywhere else.

Don't forget TC is also good for fast tracking diagnosis of the possible mineral deficiencies/ toxicities which cause premature death in this species, as each formula is a very precise and measured blend of anions and cations.

At present we are trying to replicate some of the soil structures from the mountain, using data we obtained from soil and leaf testing. Unfortunately this also means we are faced with millions of possible solutions- lots of which obviously won't work.

Genetic material is very scarce ( and no, don't want any more thanks as it is now listed as endangered & should be left where it is ) and I'm trying to be cautious with the remainder while making sure none is left to the point where it becomes non-viable. We have 30 in culture now, and it will take about four months to decide whether our latest hypothesis is going anywhere

It really does look grim from the photos

Hoo yeah... :( You've been there, I think you'll be pretty shocked when you go back

I assume that the trees were all left as you found them, not wanting to futher the damage. However it would be interesting to see if there was a change in the alkaloid profile due to the severe stressing of / damage to the plant.

Would it be possible that such changes, or the environmental changes, affect the ability to reproduce? Like specice that grow seedlings after a fire? The fire would have changed many aspects of the habitat - the soli makeup, the amount of shade, the makeup and number of competing plants just to name a few that spring to mind. Obviously those more educated than I would have a better understanding of such things.

The idea is basically that fires in mountains and bushland have always happened. The plants are still here so maybe they have some kind of survival mechanisim. I hope im not just wasting your time and talking out my arse :P

It seems like this species requires very specific conditions. Im wondering if an occasional fire is part of those conditions. Prehaps the very fire that caused so much anguish can eventually help you solve the riddle.

FS

i am 100% with dl, no special skills would keep your phlebophylla happy and alive for extendet periods. its a climat and soil nutrient thing.

many plants will grow for a while in akward conditions but sooner or later they will subcume to the stress brought on by the wrong enviroment.

i give for example a plant called cyphomandra betacea (tree tomato).

i have worked a lot with it and have seen it in three totaly different locations.

cutting the story short, in central europa (overwinters indoors, cold and hardly any light)

tree tomatoes can get 15 and more years old...

in tropical climats 2 to 3 years maximum...

so lets find a suitable climat zone for our beloved mt. buffalow wattle.

i live in the byron shire and asume that tabulam national park is the closest suitable place for those acacias.