The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Coffee and coffeine withdrawal

Hey ya! I recently started to drink coffee again! I really drink a lot and in a very strong dose! Yesterday i missed my coffee and it was no Problem! During the night i woke up with a terrible headache that lasted till this morning! At the moment i´m just drinking my second cup of coffee and now it slowly gets better! I never felt this kind of pain when drinking black tea! Probably because coffee contains more coffeine and because i didnt drink that much tea as i drink coffee! Am i the only one who gets a really bad headache from coff-Dtox? bye Eg

Headaches are easily triggered by "adrenal precipitation". I get the similar effect from too much cigarettes.

Just don't drink coffee (or drink de-caf). Withdrawal might last up to a week, but the lack of caffeine addiction is worth it imo (and I say this as a computer geek).

I drink a double Rooibos with honey instead, for the last 6 months or so, no caffeine, lots of minerals and antioxidants, win.

Sina, explain this 'adrenal precipitation' please

Yeah I've given up caffeine a few times. Headache is a really common response to caffeine withdrawal. Another one is constipation. If you're giving up caffeine, you can taper back gradually. When you feel uncomfortable from missing it, you can still have some but not as often, or not as strong. Then when you finally quit it totally the headache is much milder. Still, expect to be a bit twitchy or angsty for about 4 days!

Yep gave up caffiene 3+ years ago, the withdrawel wasn't worth it.

I drink five to six cups of coffee a day. I have noticed that instant seems to have a different effect on me than esspresso. I have also noticed that my motivation and productivity increase around the fourth cup mark any less and it feels like a weekend. Having said that i only drink one - two cups a day on the weekend with no noticable negative effects.

I used to be a hardend coffee drinker, and yeah i did get actually decent headaches for about 4 days after cold turkey from coffee about a year ago

I gave it up for health reasons and the fact i was a bit of a piss head (semi alcoholic)

Of late though i have found when i feel tired at work i have 3 teaspoons coffee 2 sugars+ milk AFTER LUNCH

and it stands me up straight for about 2.5 hours

when u don't drink that much that often, u really feel it when u have a strong one

i've recently learned that the iced coffee on the market is all very similar strength to a normal cup of coffee, if not strong :\

i used to go on binges with coffee, constantly drinking till i could not hold the cup any longer. that was untill i ran out one day and couldnt get any, it was the worst sensation i had ever felt. it was as if my nostrils were producing an odour from the inside, and with every breath that smell would make the pain worse. absolutely agonising, it is part of the withdrawl unfortunatly. the higher the dose and rate of dosing the worse the withdrawl ofcourse.

after that i now avoid it at all costs, ive occassionally slipped up and gotten into it hardcore but soon remember why i avoid it. its not fun.

It's funny... I got addicted to caffeine when I was really young. Like started drinking coffee in the mornings in year 5. Got first withdrawals at year 6 camp and the headaches were fucked. Kept drinking coffee throughout year 7 and 8, and got bad headaches if I missed my morning cup.. at one point I remember I'd take a 100mg nodoz tablet in the mornings before I left instead just so I wouldn't get the headaches.

Eventually I stopped drinking it for a while because I started getting anxiety problems that weren't associated with it but decided it would be a good idea to reduce stimulants and see if it helped.

Ever since then I can drink two espresso shots in the morning and then a few energy drinks during the day for long periods of time and haven't ever noticed any type of withdrawal symptoms when I go decide not to drink it for a day or two.

so headaches aren't a definite then. yeah i drink heaps of iced coffee and never get headaches, but i do think it contributes to anxeity.

Yep, caffeine withdrawal is hardcore for me. I find that as was mentioned earlier in this thread that tapering off is the go.. no need to drill yourself here, wait for the headache to just start and have a cup of tea/coffee then proceed again the gap should get bigger till eventually stopping. First time I kicked caffeine I had been drinking the stuff for about 15 years straight. I bombed man, the backs of my legs were painful when I walked and I had a killer headache for about two weeks.

yuck.

Doing a 3 person job with 1.25ish people and taking caffeine to help me go through the extra hours. Well eventually I snapped so I gave up caffeine around then. Thankfully I didn't have to worry about withdrawl headaches as I already was having the worest headaches of my life from my mind and body finally having a chance to deal with all the stress whilst I took time off from work. Anyway fruit juices seem to help getting off the caffeine I've found.