The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
XipeTotec

new family member... ID confirm pls

Question

here is my new baby, $25 from a secondhand shop... which is cool, cause cacti is as rare as hens teeth here in tassie. I think it is macro/peru... I have never seen with 4 ribs though, but spines certainly suggest my ID. note in one of the photos, the very Bridgesii like spines... I think similar to a current post. Anyway, would you guys concur on my ID?

post-2407-1188022568_thumb.jpg

post-2407-1188022603_thumb.jpg

post-2407-1188022638_thumb.jpg

post-2407-1188022675_thumb.jpg

post-2407-1188022721_thumb.jpg

post-2407-1188022757_thumb.jpg

Edited by XipeTotec

16 answers to this question

My god is that 4 ribs all the way? Put me down for the first cut :-D

hope for your sake its a bridge

Edited by Conan Troutman

very nice score im not sure what it is. heres something that looks pretty similar. im not even sure if the last one is the same plant as the first 2, it was growing in full shade.. im pretty sure the owner said that one was a rosei.

post-251-1188041210_thumb.jpgpost-251-1188041994_thumb.jpgpost-251-1188042003_thumb.jpg

post-251-1188041210_thumb.jpg

post-251-1188041994_thumb.jpg

post-251-1188042003_thumb.jpg

post-251-1188041210_thumb.jpg

post-251-1188041994_thumb.jpg

post-251-1188042003_thumb.jpg

My god is that 4 ribs all the way? Put me down for the first cut :-D

hope for your sake its a bridge

yeah, 4 all the way. I doubt that it is bridgesii, as spines mean more towards macro/peru. if I ever cut... u will be 1st on list

Ferret, I had a quick look for rosei on the web, and found this quote

"Scientific Name: Echinopsis peruviana (Britton & Rose) Friedrich & G.D.Rowley

Synonym: Cereus rosei, Trichocereus torataensis, Trichocereus tacnaensis, Trichocereus peruvianus, Trichocereus pachanoi

Family: Cactaceae"

Edited by XipeTotec

Hi Xipe, THIS is one of the Coolest Cacti i´ve ever seen! Please try to keep that plant in cultivation! It looks like an intermediete or hybrid between Bridgesii and Macrogonus. Looks more like Bridgesii but the Spines have something macrogonoid. I´d love to hear what Trucha has to say about it. I´d take this plant out for dinner. :P bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Interesting form for sure.

My guess would be a bridgesii or huanucoensis hybrid.

I truly hate to counter Osprey and gusto, but I think it the same plant as those in ferrets photos, that being T. peruvianus, and that it just looks so different due to the fact that it has four ribs, causing the plant to look sort of stretched. The appearance of broad ribs is what I think is throwing people off, but otherwise I think the spination fairly the same. The plant isn't grown as optimally as those in ferrets photos and I bet if it was in the ground and out in some good sun it would look like the others, particularly in spine growth.

~Michael~

mmh, when looking at ferrets pics i think that Michael is right. It definately looks like the Peruvianus on Pic 1. The fact that it has four ribs makes it really look like a Bridgesii. I´m very interested if the plant gets a fifth rib when it grows in better conditions. bye Eg

Seeing that the tip has an infection it will likely try to grow through it or set a limb. It will be interesting to see what comes of it. This plant seriously needs more sun and much more regular watering.

~Michael~

i think torsten reckoned that the T. rosei is an old australian name for a 'peruvianus' form.

im sure trout or someone with his book handy would have some more to say on the matter, whatever it is id say chances are it has direct connection to a south american plant rather than being an aussie hybrid.. as the pics i showed are from a quarantine station for imported cacti from as early as the 1920's! (and the 'T. rosei' growing there is definately one of the largest and oldest plants there)

very good find xipe, id love a piece of this one for my garden one day.

Edited by ferret

Hi Ferret, yeah the name shows up in Trouts San Pedro Book. As far as i know is the name Trichocereus Rosei not really valid. Maybe it´s just a CV. Its possible that one of the early cactus sellers used this name to sell his plants or seeds. I saw a few plants which have been labeled T. Rosei and all have been very blue and had unusual long spines! But actually all looked like Trichocereus Peruvianus! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

ok, thanks guys... will give it a water.., it does look pretty undernourished. In regards to the infected tiptip MS, i was just going to leave the plant to sort itself out, would you recommended doing that, or cutting infection out? ferret... If I cut her up, you will be second on list for a cutting (after the troutman, conan, that is ):)

Edited by XipeTotec

Xipe, Id's just let it work itself out if it it's dried up and not spreading.

~Michael~

I call dibs on the 3rd cutting!! :P Damn, shroomy (Xipester), that is a fantastic specimen!! And 4 ribbed all the way? That is very rare to come across! Personally, I would give it a couple chops (as I do with all my new plants - well at least the taller ones). Chop about 4-6 inches above the rim of the pot, then another 6 inches above that, and keep doing 6 inch sections but leave the tip with about 12 inches. Replant them all once they have calloused (all in one pot would be fine, but individual pots makes life easier later) and watch them pups form once summer hits! You will very rapidly have a good 5-10 pups that can later be chopped and planted as tip cuts (and some fantastic specimen plants for your collection or trade/sale), and your stumps are little pup factories producing between one and four pups per season.

That is the quickest way to mass propagate any columnar cacti and I have converted 3x 4 foot pachanoi branches into a good ~10 plants. These have since put out some 8 or 9 pups (and that is only on 4 or 5 stumps - still got a couple that were rooted late last season that should boom come spring!).

Not an order, just a tip that I'd strongly recommend :wink:. If you are worried that the current tip will lose the 4 rib structure, well, that all depends on the genetics and environment. The pups produced arent guaranteed to be 4 ribbed as well (actually, I dont think it would be likely - I have had one little pachanoi with 6 ribs put out 3 pups - one with 5, one 6, and one 7 ribbed - all from the one stump!), but of course, there is always a good chance, if the mother has 4.

So is the consensus T. peruvianus? Cool B)

i had another look at this beast today, and I noticed that the bottom couple of inches from base was 5 ribs.