The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Salvia extract with methylated spirits?

If they hadn't made it illegal would it have been OK to use methylated spirits to make some 5x saliva concoction? Or would the methyl stuff they put in it have bad effects?

Scotty.

I wouldn't drink the concoction!!!!!

Make sure you dry it down heaps!!! Have a current of air blow over it for hours to strip of most of the solvents.

E D

Yeah make sure its dry afterwards.

Just something people might not know is store bought Mentho is not just Ethanol with a bit of methanol it also contains other substance that can not be removed by fraction distillation such as pyrdine.

Retail acetone is more or less 100% clean, barring a little bit of water. It costs more than metho, but it evaporates faster, and is worth it. Just watch it around low molecular weight plastics (ie, soft or brittle), as it can occasionally eat these up.

yeah, stay away from metho...

it can have impurities which are left after evaporation which can be extremely toxic.

I would not use it as a solvent for something I was going to consume...

Guest electro

[This message has been edited by electro (edited 13 October 2002).]

"I personally would distill the alcohol off a bottle of vodka" "...[ethanol?]"- electro

Yes consumable alcohol is based on ethanol.

That would be kind of expensive and time consuming dont you think?

If you do do it you will have to do fractional distilation, probably more than once (dont keep anything that boils over 80 C.) Each time add a fist full of rock salt to the stuff your gonna distil, it helps. But most importantly, dont blow your self up!

Originally posted by eccles:

yeah, stay away from metho...

it can have impurities which are left after evaporation which can be extremely toxic

I saw a list of approved denaturants for ethanol at one point and, from memory, none of them were solids. It would also make sense for these to be reasonably volatile, otherwise metho might not be much good as a cleaner, for example. Having said all this, a few of the kitchen X crowd got all excited when they saw that safrole was on the list ...

Denaturants are usually picked for their efficiency to make the ethanol undrinkable AND for being difficult to remove. usually this means something of a boiling point very close to ethanol, or essential oils that steamdistill with the azeotropic water.

"denaturants for ethanol... none of them were solids."- John_Barleycorn

Thats what I thought too until I found out that a few companies were using mercuric chloride as a denaturant. When a company puts deadly poisons in their product just to save money you shouldn't have too much faith in their logic.

Originally posted by Auxin:

Thats what I thought too until I found out that a few companies were using mercuric chloride as a denaturant. When a company puts deadly poisons in their product just to save money you shouldn't have too much faith in their logic.

That is indeed a freak-out, but a couple of things don't quite add up. First, there is the economic angle. Companies have to denature ethanol in order to reduce their tax, so you would think they would use something a little more generally available than HgCl2. Secondly, if the mercury is in there in anything more than homeopathic concentrations, then it presumably would shoot the product right to the top of the hazardous substances league table. That would mean mega poison ratings, restricted access to the general public, and even if not, you would at least expect to see warning labels about skin contact. After all, the government wants to stop people drinking tax-free, not to kill them!

Guest electro

Guest electro

Guest reville
Originally posted by John_Barleycorn:

After all, the government wants to stop people drinking tax-free, not to kill them!

yes . which is more than you can say for the unethical mix of thebaine/morphine poppies in Tasmania.

Anyone know how to sepateate the two? I hear that ist not GE and rather a product of conventional breeding therefore are therany linked traits from P bracteatum (what i assume is the hybrid parent) that distinguish it?

"the government wants to stop people drinking tax-free, not to kill them!"

I guess thats the diffrence between your government and mine. Over here the war on drugs really is a war, and truth be told its actually a war on untaxed drugs. Of course people only really notice the injustice when a police hit squad goes to execute pot growers in their sleep and accidentally executes the innocent retired couple next door instead (I'm not lying, that has happened over here). If you don't beleive me just wait a few years, your gov. seems to be headed down that road too.

Guest electro