The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mark80

Plants in NQ

In this thread discussion of plants that grow well in north queensland should be our focus.

I have found leonotis nep. and leo. grow well here. HBWR also does a good job in shaded areas.

Papaver species do very poorly and are impossible to germintae. Lactuca viriosa don't germinate and neither do epehdra spp.

I would like people to post plants that grow well in NQ and share your experiances.

i think that some seeds didn't germ at your place has nothing to do with your climat and location.

if a plant is unhappy in the tropics of nq it wouldn't know that till it germed,

in other words germing is not the dificult task, keeping it alive is.

you know NQ is very variable

The daintree may be the wet tropics but not far away at herberton it dips to -5C

thats one of the best things about the place

huge variation in a compact area

please define the climate of interests

Sorry, the townsville area- dry tropics.

Although some variability existis in temperature range in tvl (not from Dec to May though, 30 to 32C highs, 26+ to 24C mins, >70% humidity.. generally), there is on average 320 sunny days per year (or so they say). An important thing to note up here is the intensity of the sun, and amount of sunshine on the average day... and the amount of sunny days. Even during the wet season (during the years when there is a wet season!!.. like this year), most days get plenty sunny breaks, cose rain generally comes in fronts that dump shit loads, followed by fairly clear skys (thats why its often at least 1 or two degrees warmer in tvl than in cairns). Without proper positioning or use of shade cloth, its pretty easy to fry non tropical plants, even sun adapted ones. Nights in august can drop bellow 5degC, but they dont last for long, but even during this time of the year, the sun intensity is pretty... well, intense!

I dont think there should be many problems germinating the majority of seeds of interest in this climate (if viable), like planthelper says though, it is keeping them alive that is the problem, and getting them established.. sun frying them, humidty problems or tropical beasties eating them.

I mean, its the tropics fgs, anything whos natural environment is subtropical to tropical will thrive!! Stuff that like colder climates require more attention, particularly in regards to the sun and humidity. I might also suggest germinating colder climat sp's at the beginning of the dry so the temp range is greater during the early stages of establishment, and the humidty is lower.

Anywayz, not that I can talk really, I just moved back up here after being away for two years and my garden is basically non existant... got similar issues to consider.

i hear from a knolagable circal that north queensland tropical rainforrests has the best gunja growing in australia and that theres crazy ex veitnam soilders along with angry ferals both with guns growing big plants and big numbers deep out the ranges

Edited by black

lol

I second that !!! :saufen2:

True, there are a lot of gun toating army guys in townsville... and plenty of 'ferals' further north. don't know how angry they are though :P

Yeah wel li know there are plenty on Vets up there esp screwed up ones

some even live on large communal properties where theres no women allowed

and each guy is a semi hermit

Him, weed and emotional trauma comprise the family unit

Yes the climate up there is primo for weed. maybe even 3 crops a year like hawaii

in particular strains brought over from India, africa and south east asia :D

old skool ones i even might enjoy ;)

sativa for me, sativa for you, I'll have a bong and u have one too..... (repeats its self as it drifts off into the merky distance clouded by thc..) :huh: