The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

cyclone larry

not sure where it will hit but it looks like a ripper. anyone else in the firing range?

oops double post

Edited by brian

doesnt look that mean to me. what cat. is it?

he he > weather is boring up(carib) here these days, so might as well bother some southern hemi people with their weather down there :)

keep safe peeps - stut those thrichs! ;)

Yeah Teo, Im in the vicinity. Its a category 4 and intensifying. Im just wondering about the aerodynamic efficiency of my in the ground 2.5 metre trich...should I cut it or let it ride out the wind? :huh:

Edited by Agamemnon

at 950 and with pretty intense lows feeding it from all sides this is going to get messy. It's rated at 90kts, so that's about 165km/h which would make it a category 2.

good luck! It looks a fair way south, so Cairns will probably not get much of it (northern edge is always gentler as it comes from land).

The Madden/Julian wave is moving eastwards at the moment, so expect a few more in the coral sea over the next 4 weeks. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we get another one within a week.

lol im not in cairns any more torsten, im in townsville :) they reckon it will hit innisfail, i think it will hit further south but then im not a weather person lol. its a cat 4 now, they reckon 230kph winds near the centre. sky has gone cloudy, only time will tell. we are pretty much in for strong gales at least.

aga id wait to see how bad it gets down your way. if its starts getting bad and the cactus is swaying, chop it or stake it.

looks like its moved north a bit. will hit innisfail, and cairns even lookslike getting some of the edge. all we are gonna get is strong winds and rain+storm surge. ohwell, lol as much as they are serious they are always good fun and its always dissapointing not to be in it lol.

this is going to be wild. storm surge of over 2m expected at landfall, which is exactly on high tide. Friends of mine just got evacuated from a low lying area some 5mk inland but on a rivermouth, so they are expecting the surge to travel a fair way up the rivers it seems.

I'm pretty sure they just called it a category5 on ABC, but the warning centre still has it on cat4. It's now down to an amazing 935 bars. Either way, this is going to cause death and destruction and is certainly one of the strongest the area has seen. But worse even, it is approaching at such high speed that it might be one of few (the only??) to make it all the way to the Tablelands. Freaky!

Cairns should be OK because it is a fair way north of the eye

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

my god,... this thing is pretty serious! good luck to you out there. where I am at, we have been close to being raked by a cat 5 twice in 2 years - ivan & katherina - no fun even if we were on the border of the tropical storm force winds.

good luck people

remember - large trees can also fall over due to oversaturation of the ground and a little extra wind. people loose their lives like this every year when a tree fall over on their house.

Btw - looks like there is another system with strong convection right behind larry

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-tim.../xxirgms5en.GIF

Edited by brian

Btw - looks like there is another system with strong convection right behind larry

yeah, been watching that drop from 1008bar to 997 in just a few hours. And it's starting to spin. Given the current set up it could be dragged towards the oz coast much further south, but with a bit of luck it'll stay out in the open ocean instead. if it stays out over the ocean then we will get hammered with lots and lots of rain where we are, so that new one is actually more significant to me.

woah thats fuckin mad, it hit as a cat 5, still cat 4, they reckon winds over 300kph in innisfail. news from the front line a friend there said 1 in 3 houses have no roof, no trees left all knocked over. cairns got a bit, my mum had a wirley bird ripped off the roof and all sorts of things ripped off it, all my cacti that were planted in the ground are apparently flattened. different cyclone to they were used to. and its smashed the table lands aswell. my gf is calling her family atm so i will post how they are up tabllands later.

that other one looks like it could be nasty to. ohwell there needed to be a good purge along the coast, i hope next one hits townsville or cairns, hedleys buildings take up too much of the skyline and development has started way to far up the hill slopes. its mean but its true, mother natures comin to claim it back.

remember - large trees can also fall over due to oversaturation of the ground and a little extra wind.

yeah when i live up there ill be sticking to flexible bamboo near the house, trees further away.

i guess we should call the rellies up there to see if their caravan got blown to Mt isa....

well one good thing was not much rain, its been raining here (townsville) but not like previous cyclone rains. there goes a lot of nurseries in the tablelands region.

ah if only Ps. caerulescens lived here :innocent_n:

Hope all faced with the troubles are safe and well, the footage looked intense.

Might be a good time to head up to the tablelands for a new leese of life..

After Tracy hit there were jobs galore and good $.. And especially now with Booshy and Cockroch Howard needing global busines, economy, slavery and control.. Theres going to be some good cash to be made over a short period of time im sure.. Then a quick escape ........

LOl yeah i wish i had more dough :(

you mighnt have guessed it but im somewhat enamoured with the region

what better time to buy in an area than straight after the once in 100 year cyclone?

same logic thatd have me go on holiday to a place a week after a terrorist attack

at least you can see where gets hit hard - by wind, bly flood, by stormsurge. Its only after devastation you get an idea of wheres REALLY a good place to situate yourself

:bootyshake:

you wouldnt think it but this kind of storm is very rare.

how rare is demonstrated by all the old houses in the region with original roofs