The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Dunkel

Duboisia myoporoides cultivation

Does anyone have experience with this one. Does it require moist soil, protected position, is it reasonable hardy, etc...

Particularly for cultivation in the south (victoria). I have seen a tree in the RBG-Melbourne so it should be possible.

Cheers for any helpful hints.

(I have cross posted this in http://www.guruna.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=255)

E D

Does anyone have experience with this one. Does it require moist soil, protected position, is it reasonable hardy, etc...

Particularly for cultivation in the south (victoria). I have seen a tree in the RBG-Melbourne so it should be possible.

It grew very well in a cold spot at Mt Annan, so I am sure it can deal with Melbourne temps.

We've managed to kill a few though - probably with too much water at the wrong time of year.

I think i've still got a small about of this seed from a RBG collection last time they were in fruit if you need some more seed ED. I haven't had success in germinating these, but my germination setup is pathetic and I'm constantly frying seeds so it's no real test on viability.

I have mine against a warm, sunny wall right now, I'm just worried what it will do this winter. I intend to plant it out. Should I keep it potted and transplant in winter?

Here is a piccie of it:

normal_Duboisia%20myoporoides.JPG

I never managed to germinate the seeds from the Melb RBG. If you don't want them, I could try. I think they need hot humid weather (unless one has a greenhouse with misting :()

Edited by Ed Dunkel

I'd only plant it out during active growth, which is either now or in spring.

Ask Rimbaud, I know he has had a fair interest in them and has been on some hunting expeditions

He may be able to help aswell :)

Seed is tricky to germinate, but I've gotten a few up (only to die shortly after).

They definitely need the "Datura" treatment to be placed on the soil surface in my experience, but on top of that the soil needs to stay moist but not wet and recieve plenty of warmth (but providing this warmth from sunlight cooked the seeds in my experience).

Good airflow and a fine, well draining medium is also nescessary once they sprout, I feel.

So as far as germinating seed goes, the best enviroment to emulate would be the base of an already mature D. myoporoides in the early Spring (i.e. warm, moist, filtered sunlight, seeds on soil surface).

Can I get some of those seeds gerbil?

The rooted cutting I got from Guruna died shortly after arriving at my place, I definitely gave it too much sun, I should've noticed from the nature of the leaves it would be happier in mostly shade as a young plant.

Does anyone have experience/techniques on taking cuttings? If so I can take a few cuts of some already hardy mature plants and distribute them.

This plant is a teaser for me, it probably won't even produce scopolamine in Sydney yet I desperately want one anyway :P

Ive seen Duboisia growing along creeks and rivers on the central coast area. It seems to naturally grow where moisture is and have also noticed they seem relatively shaded by larger trees. Cultivation is always different, so im interested to hear how you go.

i know where there is gigantic trees of this species in abundance that fruit well - i had no idea it was so tricky or of any interest

so i left it alone

i must go dig some up :)

Don't get too excited Rev, only tropanes in this Duboisia. :(

Depends where the plant is as to how interesting it is Rev :wink:

Different locality = different tropanes.

It seems to be one of those plants that will grow prolifically in nature, but quite difficult to get plants up in cultivation.

Paul Rescher was incredulous when I told him I was having trouble propagating, to the point where he didn't believe me :P

Edited by apothecary

cant be that hard they grow them commercially?!

who would base an industry on a hard to grow species

I think the commercial farms like "alkaloids.org" are propagated from cuttings. I imagine like most Solanaceous these plants cuttings are not difficult to propagate, I just don't know how it's done :)

I think the commercial farms like "alkaloids.org" are propagated from cuttings. I imagine like most Solanaceous these plants cuttings are not difficult to propagate, I just don't know how it's done :)

Commercial nurseries use tissue culture to propagate large numbers of hard to otherwise propagate species. Not certain if Duboisia is in this category but if there is retail demand someone is probably propagating by tissue culture.

Exoparus