The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Iboga seeds

My seeds from SAB came this morning, but the sphagnum they were in was almost completely dry and the seeds were very hard.

I quickly remoistened the sphagnum and put some fresh stuff on as well and put the seeds between that. They've been there all day, I don't know what I should do now? Just plant them? How long can they be left in the sphagnum? Are they meant to be this hard or have they been toasted?

eboka seeds,....... I would simply follow the instructions on SAB for eboga / iboga germination!

The best growing instructions for this spp on the web. Sterilize the Course Sharp Sand! No nutrients! Heat ( at least 25 to 30C )! & HIGH humidity! - include seeds in daily meditation & prayers - and agood luck wish from me!

;)

i'm goona order seeds too but i'm in Israel and the problem is that the sphg moss probably will be dry till it arrive to israel...

so what your advice? take the risk? or give up...

tomer, i am certain they would arrive at your place in good condition.

i recieved other seeds, but which detoriate very fast aswell and all they did was forming root whilst beeing transported.

we used fairly dry sphagnum to try and delay germination, while still ensuring the seed doesn't dry out. Seed has kept well with this method.

The seedcoat is always very hard. Most seedlings die because they cannot shed the coat (by themselves) during germination.

Thanks T, you have put my mind at ease...all I think about at uni since I got the seeds is them germinating :P

Love ya dude :wink:

EDIT: I planted the seeds according to the instructions on the SAB page and have been applying very high bottom heat.

Just checked now, and still no germinations, but it's only been 24 hours since planting so I'm not worried yet.

Much love to T for even making such things available!

Edited by apothecary

Hey Tort, When It says you can try removing the seed coat with a scapel, is this after the radicle has emerged and pushed the hypocotyl out of the soil, or while it is still an embryotic body?, and just swollen?

Thanks

Hey Tort, When It says you can try removing the seed coat with a scapel, is this after the radicle has emerged and pushed the hypocotyl out of the soil, or while it is still an embryotic body?, and just swollen?

Thanks

there comes a point in seedling development when the cotyledons should unfold from the seedcoat. In the hard coated iboga this is often slow and sometimes so slow that it rots the meristem.

this is long after radicle development, but hard to explain when exactly. If your seed has been sitting on a 2" stalk for about a week or more then it is time to help. Often simply incising the collar from around the stem is enough and is certainly the first thing that should be tried. after a few days more might need to be exposed. any cotyledons forcefully freed are likely to die, so the idea is to let the plant do as much of the work as possible and to only give a helping hand (ie scalpel) every couple of days.

burying the whole shoot and seed in a pile of very moist sphagnum can also help as it keeps the seed coat soft.

Thanks Torsten, much appreciated!!!! for everything!