The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Gollum

Calea zacatachichi

in short - yeah

sunny spot under cover

restrict watering

increase watering once frost danger is over and night time temps rise above 5c. Get a max/min themometer they are great value for researching climate effects on plant cycles

theyre ok - theyere designed to go through a drier dormant state at cooler temps or dying back to rootstocks with frost and subzero temps. The term i read is 'root hardy'.

some dont even give a shit about frost above ground - Anadenathera colubrina, Stevia, Leonotis,Trichocereus spp. and heimia are immediate examples in my USDA zone 9A garden

its been -2C several times here already and not a spot of damage on any of them - excpet the leonotis where full morning sun hits the frozen tips causing rapid thaw and so damage

the difference between subtropical and temperate vegetation here is the tolerances to both extreme dry Heat and the acceptance of hot humid late summers - which is a real killer even more so than the early extreme heat due to fungus. Just 25 km away up the slopes a bit is a more temperate town and the differences in vegetation native and exotic is noticeable.

More Tropical plants like Kratty, yohimbe, Peyote, Kava, Capi, Novo or Iboga

would never like this and when they start losing leaves or looking different colours it means they really are dying. none like it ever below 1 and do best above 8C as a minimum night time temp

if they are directly hit by frost they are Fucked - without a doubt

I have two Calea plants, both from planthelper's stock.

The foliage of the white strain has now turned totally brown (I hope she'll reshoot fine in Spring) but the gold strain (which was a less healthy plant before winter) seems to be coping fine. Both were in the same position, same size pots and same watering regime.

the leaves of mine r completly dry and dead, hanging on very loosely.. im assuming this is what it suppose to do in winter?

Edited by Advanc3d

the leaves of mine r completly dry and dead, hanging on very loosely.. im assuming this is what it suppose to do in winter?

i wouldn't say supposed to, i'm about an hour north of you and the plants i have are doing fine, full foliage. next year plant it into the ground if its not already, it should grow big enuf in one season to survive well thru winter. from what other have said these regen well so i wouldnt be too worried, IME there pretty tough. it'll survive.

now in spring.. my 2 calea plants are as dead as dead can be :( is there hope for it to shoot back up?

was the plant well established in it's spot before winter struck? if so then it may well shoot from the base.

i bought it durning winter.

it basiclly turned brown after a few weeks when i got it. and its still brown and dead.