The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Pisgah

Acacia growing containers & medium

I have read that Acacia phlebophylla requires a deep container, if one were lucky enough to grow it. I think Torsten mentioned a long, tube-like container would work. I don't grow phlebophylla, but I do grow obtusifolia. I have one, year old plant in a tube container now, and am about to plant out a number of seedlings.

Should these plants be grown in a similar manner? Do they benefit from allowing a long tap root to form? Do they need room for much lateral root growth?

The soil mix I am going to use is granite gravel, coconut coir, charcoal bits (not a lot) and coarse sand. Sound about right?

I'd appreciate any input :)

tap root is good for all acacias, however phleb is special in that it not only tap roots, but in many cases that is ALL it does.

Could some varieties of acacia then respond reasonably to some type of taproot inhibition?

I'd be interested to know if anyone has ever manipulated the roots of any acacia, like done bonsai with a particular species.

Or ever grown them in containers?

got this picture from

"Bonsai with Australian Native Plants" by Dorothy & Vita Koreshoff

they say they have had success with glaucescens,longifolia,mollissima and podalyriifolia.

never had much luck with natives myself.post-1277-1139400379_thumb.jpg

post-1277-1139400379_thumb.jpg

post-1277-1139400379_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing that.

It was interesting to read that the original collection form was growing around a rock. Rock attachment to granite would be an interesting way to do container culture. I always like bonsai that have exposed root on rock. Knowing that at least one type of acacia does that in nature is encouraging.