The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Tripitaka

Inula Spp.

Am researching several plants that are reputed to have airway regenerative properties and have come across Elecampane or Inula Spp, other candidates are Tussilago Farfara and Marrubium Vulgare.

This seems like a wonderful plant and not just limited to such uses.

It seems to exhibit many properties and falls in to the category of a multi beneficial herb, ranging from an adjunct to Chemo to anti bacterial and anti inflammotory properties, adrenal cortex stimulant, digestive stimulant and so much more.

Am wondering of anyone is growing this beauty or has some experience with it?????

Inula_helenium-2.jpg

Clinical trial of chemotherapy patients with malignant tumour showed supplementing with Inula-Ochrae decoction may prevent and treat chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting without toxic and side effects

Pharmacodynamics

Inula viscosa protected against enzymatic and non-enzymatic lipid peroxidation and showed scavenging property on the superoxide radical in free radical-generating systems. 19 other herbs were also tested. Schinella 2002

A review of available information suggests some substances are capable of positively influencing insulin resistance. Inula racemosa has shown potentiated insulin sensitivity in an animal model. Kelly 2000

Results indicate that extract of Inula royleana root has significant neuromuscular blocking activity of a partially or slowly reversible nature, which appears to be exerted at the postjunctional end-plate nicotine receptors. Manchanda 2000

Inula viscosa leaves extract inhibited the growth of dermatophytes and Candida albicans by affecting chitin synthesis. Maoz 2000

22 plants used in folkloric medicine in Palestine were investigated for their antifungal activity, with one of the most active extracts (90-100% inhibition) against against T. violaceum being Inula viscosa. Ali-Shtayeh 1999

Screening of in vitro antifungal activity of extracts of flowers and leaves of Inula viscosa obtained with different solvents, showed all had antifungal activity against dermatophytes and Candida species, with best results from flower extracts. Cafarchia 1999

Ethanolic and aqueous extracts of 20 plants investigated for antimicrobial activities showed Inula viscosa being most active against Candida albicans. Ali-Shtayeh 1998

Of 10 aqueous extracts tested, extracts of the leaves of Inula viscosa produced detectable antifungal activity against dermatophytes. Maoz 1998

Inula japonica and 12 other herbal extracts were shown to have highly effective anti-HSV-II action. Zheng 1989

Hispidulin, a flavone isolated from Inula viscosa, may interfere with Ca2+ binding to the Ca2+-receptor protein(s) in isolated guinea-pig smooth muscle cell and/or with the agonist-induced Ca2+-release from intracellular stores. Abdalla 1988

Beneficial effect of Inula racemosa (pushkarmoola) in angina pectoris: a preliminary report. [no abstract] Tripathi 1984

Inulicin, a sesquiterpene lactone from Inula Japonica L., exerts stimulant action on the central nervous system and smooth muscles of the intestine, displays anti-inflammatory and anti-ulcer activity and has capillary-strengthening diuretic properties. Belova 1981

Analytical Chemistry

Eight flavonoids from n-BuOH extract of Inula britannica flowers, including new compounds, patulitrin, nepitrin,, axillarin, patuletin, and luteolin, showed profound antioxidant activity in DPPH assay and cytochrome-c reduction assay using HL-60 cell culture system. Park 2000

Chromatographic fractions of root extracts of Inula helenium L, exhibited significant activity against Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Cantrell 1999

Cytotoxicity-guided fractionation of the flowers of Inula britannica led to the isolation of four sesquiterpene lactones which show cytotoxicity against human tumor cell lines. Park 1998

Isoalantolactone, a major sesquiterpene lactone of Inula racemosa, was found to be active against Aspergillus flavus, A. niger, Geotrichum candidum, Candida tropicalis and C. albicans. Tan 1998

Two potent cytotoxic sesquiterpene lactones, ergolide (1) and bigelovin (2) were isolated from Inula hupehensis I. helianthus-aquatica. Wang 1996

Flavonoidal compounds of Inula viscosa part II. [no abstract] Oksuz 1977

Nice post dude!

I've ordered a 50 pack of these seed (Inula helenium) from Pleasance Herbs (aussie) along with some other stuff like Leonuru cardiaca, Scutellaria lateriflora, Spearmint and so on.

I'll send you some :)

hi Tripitaka,

In my country this plant is rather popular both in folk and official medicine. Its common Russian name may be translated as "nine powers".

When I was a kid, I often had bronchitis, and when I had it, I always had to drink a decoction of "Rhizoma et Radix Inulae". I drank gallons of this astringent bitter brown liquid.

It seemed to work, using it you cough less and you easily get rid of phlegm in your lungs.

There is also one quite unexpected bonus to it - I don't mind drinking bitter brews since then :)

Any more info on the adrenal cortex stimulating stuff around?

Nice work Sina!! Thankyou!

Only obscure refs and little actual literature

plants having corticostimulating properties, betasympathetic lytic stimulant, alphasympathetic lytic, ?sympathetic lytic, hypothalamohypohysothyroid reactivity reducer, genital ovarian stimulant - mainly luteal and testicular, antehypophysostimulant, thymostimulant :

A) Cortico stimulating plants:

1. Ribes nigrum (Black Current)

2. Quercus robur (Oak)

3. Eleutherococcus senticosus

4. Zingiber officinalis (Ginger)

5. Pygeum africanum (African Prune Tree)

http://www.innvista.com/HEALTH/herbs/elecampa.htm

Not sure how it would compare to say Ephedra though in its efficiancy, maybe many conversions before???

Could have potential though

will see what I can find?

there is also one quite unexpected bonus to it

Caldeye - "there is also one quite unexpected bonus to it"

can you elucidate??? sounds intriguing!

hi, tripi, to me it reads as caldeye means the bitterness on it's own, thought him to be able to swallow other bitter substances later onwards.

excellent post, tripi, this is exciting info.

I think you're right on both counts planthelper, an excellently research thread and caldeye being able to drink bitter brews as a result :wink:

One day a friend of mine told me that when he was a child the playing to smoke with inula viscosa leaves. He told me that he felt some dizzines. Perhaps it may be the harsh smoke but the plant smells similar to MJ....