The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Cadaver

Cactus seedling ID please?

This was from some lovely love muncher i guessed was blind, never sure in the end though.....

Edited by darcy

btw i din't have success with the seeds he gave me and i reused the soil for other cacti and had this seedling pop up, that's why i don't know what it is.

My first thought was terscheckii, but I don't know all that much. I'm sure M S Smith or someone will ID it better than me.

Well its not T. poco (Echinopsis "Trichocereus" tarijensis), but it certainly has the look of T. terscheckii. It is worth noting though that there are T. macrogonus seed on the market which have a Bolivian origin, and having grown these plants myself they are nearly indistinguishable from T. terscheckii. I generally refer to certain Peruvian species as being the true T. macrogonus. These Bolivian T. macrogonus appear to have received the name later and are synonymous with T. terscheckii in my opinion even though they might have some slightly different characteristics than the Argentinian and Chilean T. terscheckii.

At The Nook I have a nice thread on T. macrogonus in the Cactus forum (pinned at the top of the page), but you will have to join to view it. It certainly is worth doing so in my opinion.

~Michae~

I'm growing a batch of T poco if you want to see what they look like (hairy and skinny, 1 1/2" high so far)

This is T. tarijensis subsp. totorensis (ANDERSON). I got it from Mesa Garden as T. totorensis. T. poca is considered synonymous with T. tarijensis.

Not one of my better photos.

~Michael~

post-19-1138165379_thumb.jpg