The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
AndyAmine.

Dehydrated T.B.M's?

Hi all

I am hoping for some advice howver unfortunatly I wont have photos for another few days.

Im having trouble wiht some of my TBM cacti in that the bottom section is very dehydrated looking and warped with inward creases (Im sure you know what I mean) yet all the top ones, particularly the new growth is fine and plump?

Also, the newer growth has some lighter green patches on them as well.

Is it because the roots are dmagaed?

I have a tbm that sounds like what you describe, it became creased after its pupped, i think mine is to do with pressure on them. Mine doesnt look very worrisome. All of the fresh growth on my tbms is a lot more pale or a bit blue. I think this is normal and as time goes on them go darker..

Hmm, I have a few cacti which have shown decreased vigour and plumpness in their 'parent branch(es)' after growing pups. I'm not too sure why this happens. For instance my T. macrogonus was originally two large main stems. Then they had 3 pups at the base. The pups started growing like crazy but the two main branches slowed down a lot. Same has happened to a few others.

I think its pretty much just that when a new pup forms, the vascular bundle (core) tissue forms new pathways to the new growth, perhaps over-allocating resources to those new areas because they have a nice new pathway for water and nutrients whereas the older limbs are using older more huckery systems. But this is just a theory, one day maybe I'll do some dissection to have a look at the inner structures of the vascular bundles in such specimens.

So long as the new growth is healthy and the wrinkly stuff isn't actually rotting I think it should be OK.

this is often caused by root rot. dig around the base of your cactus to see if it is rotting below ground level.

I've got limited experience with TBM especially large mature ones.

I'm thinking it's possibly dehydration and sun damage. Like what zee werp said it seems to direct energy to the young plump pups. This happens with all the pupping cacti I have, I first observed it with pachanoi but not to the extent of what you are talking about.

Anyway Tort could be right about the root rot.

I've had more rot problems with TBM than any other in the collection so I try and neglect and keep them dry because of my heavy organic mix i've got them in. I've heavily watered one that is doing what you describe and the main stock is plumping up. All my other TBM which are in smaller pots (yet a heap less pups than that last one) have stocks with are overly plump.

I wonder what large mature specimens in La Paz would look like with their good rainfall all the time??

I may be way off but if you want picture perfect specimens maybe it will be a case of keeping them in smaller pots with more of a mineral/rock based soil like for more arid cacti and watering them more frequently.

I'll try and get some pics.

When these cacti are not actively growing, and watering is properly reduced, then they shrivel like a member in a cold shower.

Just take it as a sign that it is time to give them some water.

Has this one recently been removed and repotted?

I have seen exactly what you are describing show up on a relocated mature TBM.

I transplanted it from the ground(5 or so years) into a terracota pot. The roots were amazingly thick and not too many thin laterals. The said mature plant pupped on almost every section within 3 weeks, which caused the reduction in water pressure to the main older sections. Showing the denting or sucking in you describe.

I would say both Torsten and Pisgah are def correct, either water or root problem. Seems that well located, mature rooted TBM's dont show this...

The denting wont cause any problems.. more of a "cosmetic" thang. :D

Its nothing too bad except if its rot. If your worried, remove or wash the soil off, sit in peroxide water for 10 min the replant in new mix and new pot. Throw out he old soil and pot or sterilize. Hope this helps.

Ps: Ill get some pics tonight of this problem if it helps to show what were talking about..

Bd.

Its nothing too bad except if its rot. If your worried, remove or wash the soil off, sit in peroxide water for 10 min the replant in new mix and new pot.

What is your ratio on H2O2 and H2O?

Heya,

about 10-15ml of 50%H202 /L of tap or distilled water. This will cause some fizzing and bubling when you lower the roots in, but just think of it as a nice oxygenating bath. :) works nicely.

Right on. So I could use regular 3% household H2O2 at half strength and get the same results, I guess.

I use the household stuff at full strength for seed wash on other plants.