The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
medicinedan

ID please

Very cool! Where did you get it? Looks a little bit like some Echinopsis / Trichocereus Hybrids i saw but i don´t have a clue what it is.

was a small branch off a large cacti that I found in a very unlikely place. It was where it shouldnt have been, on a cliff face, miles from nowhere. (quite dangerous to get to I might add) I cant figure out how it would have got there? Birds dropping seeds or something?

sounds pretty cool! Its definately an interesting Trichocereus. Maybe you can post some more pictures when it´s bigger. I recently saw an similar clone that was labeled "macrogonus hybrid".No idea if that was correct.

Personally I reckon it looks more like macrogonus than peruvianus, but I am pretty hazy on the differentiation between the two apart from 'intuition' from looking at quite a few pics and real cacti of each. Although I have also noticed that the two species can, from a novice point of view like mine, seem to overlap so I'm really not too sure.

Not sure if this is a bung observation, or maybe even just my collection doesn't have a truly representative sample of each type, but I noticed that the macrogonus I have seen tend to have their main spine pointing downwards more often than not, whereas peruvianus seems to be the opposite. That and the colouration of this cactus, as well as the look of the new spines, is what makes me think macrogonus.

I suppose I do view several forms called macrogonus as forms of T. peruvianus.

What makes a macrogonus a macrogonus? I have a lot to learn about how to tell some species apart.

Hmm a very interesting specimen. Im wondering how tall it is? The aeriols look very close together for a Trichocereus...