The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
wisemonkey

pressure cookers

Can anybody tell me whether you need to buy an expensive pressure cooker or what features I need to start growing some gourmet mushrooms? :D

There's different opinions, many ways to achieve similar results. Have a search as many people have discussed cookers here.

IMO for best time both for the cook and long term use and peace of mind for sterilisation, look for a PC that's rated at 15 PSI in Stainlesss steel.

It's definately an investment, so don't be hesitant to spend a little bit more $$ to get a good one if you can afford. You'll be kicking yourself for spending say (example)$100 for an okay model, when 6 months later you wish you had put in an extra $100 to get more space and a better design.

Think about what your needs are...size is definately a consideration to make.

I've got a 9L Evinox myself, it's great, but you always want more space, so think about how much cooking you'll be doing in the future.

Stamets mentions it's best to get a cooker that forms a vacuum on cooldown. I don't think mine does this, but haven't had any problems AFAIK. For backyard grows there is a lot of options. Lab work for a business is a different story.

Best of luck mate, you'll have lots of fun tinkering with myc :)

yep what gerbil said

you dont need the ones with the pressure gauge

unless you go pro

but you will get put off fast unless you get a p/c

Cakes suck IMO

get a p/c and go straight to grain and or grain /substarte mixes ie grain enriched manure or whatever you desired species likes best

Cheers guys I think I can figure the rest out now. Just gotta get out there and buy one now.

Cheers guys I think I can figure the rest out now. Just gotta get out there and buy one now.

Howdy wm,

this one has been mentioned many times before, but worth another.

http://www.pressurecooker.com.au/

They were expanding their range and thinking about shops over our side of Australia when I bought mine a year or so ago, don't know how it's progressed, by the looks of it it's still just the WA store. Postage for cookers is about $15-$20 couriered door to door.

LOL

i do wonder what he makes of the pressure cooking renaissance amont the 15 to 35 year old swm's thats been happenning over the last few years ;)

LOL

i do wonder what he makes of the pressure cooking renaissance amont the 15 to 35 year old swm's thats been happenning over the last few years ;)

:P :D :lol:

We should start a cooking club... I right bunch of chefs I'm sure....

I'm playing with the idea of getting the

HAWKINS BigBoy (Aluminium)

22 litre RRP $375 # Special: $219

I would feel like such a big man with that.

does anyone have a Hawkins?

Jim

22 litre RRP $375 # Special: $219

this month only

sounds ok

id prefer s/s but aluminium is ok

hawkins are very good, at least my 8l s/s is

ive had it 5 years and u can imagine the thrashing its had and i havent even had to replace the rubber seal yet

Edited by Rev

I agree S/S is the by far the best but either way go with the bigboy for sure, I got a 10ltr tallboy and its no where near big enough for me, I wish it was at least another 1/3 bigger because itll only take 4 500ml jars.

You see, with the Hawkins design, you have to put 1/2 the lid in before it closes properly so effectivly you loose that usable space if sterlising something like Jars that cant be moved out of the way.

I purchased the 22lt Hawkins today.

Interestingly, 'Neville' Asked if this was for Cooking... I replied and explained that I was going to using it to grow mushrooms

"hmm right...' he said

I told him it must be a growing hobby, and he agreed.

I think he has sold quite a few PC's not for cooking recently.

There is also a thread from here on the testimonials.

'Gerbil' (from Victoria) wrote in The Corroboree Forum (see forum post):

"Yup I'm running a 9L Evinox Rapid pressure cooker, it's great but you'll soon get sick of the size restrictions, always wanting bigger and better lol. But it works really well. Chantal (at the Pressure Cooker Centre) is very nice to deal with."

.... And also wrote in another Forum:

"Good reliable service, and prices are pretty good too for anyone interested."

Jim.

I hate it when people get nosey and ask questions! :angry:

I guess he must wonder why all these people are incredibly concerned about 15+P.S.I. pressure in their cookers.hehehe :P

it's like when u go in and buy a map of nannup and bailingup and they ask u what u want it for :uzi: , Do they really want an honest answer?????

Oh well, he shouldn't care because it's another outlet for his business and he gets a hell of alot of free advertising around here. Quite a bit of business from here too. Maybe he should be a sponsor. :lol:

Simply google pressure cookers, and SAB is 15th on the list.

If he does care...... :wave-finger: ...... I hope he discards emails and purchace info........ :innocent_n:

:ph34r:

ahh isn't it nice when you get quoted on someones site for their business without permission. :rolleyes:

You've found the forums, now click that pm button :wink:

Emails are the ones that really get to me though, it's supposed to be a comment to the person receiving it, not a message to everyone on the net.

Not a big deal and I don't mind it being there, but a message wouldn't hurt, they do have the internet on computers these days. Eh too late now.

I recieved my 'BigBoy' . I am pretty happy with it although the design is annoying, having to put the linside the cooker is a shame but I'm sure I can manage. :wink:

One question though, for anyone else with a hawkins... All the other presure cookeres I've owned rock the weight on top when they get to pressure, producing a psst psst psst noise... My Hawkins just produces a continual psssssss... 'hissing' noise. I'm sure this is fine just wondering if everyon else has the pssss....

Cheers

Jim

yeah I get a phsssss, as long as it's phsssssss'ing It's at pressure

Cool, I figured this was probably the case as when I lift the weigh the pffft is more vigarous.

I am making up some spawn jars this evening to PC tomorrow morning. I can fit 8 one liter jars in the bigboy - I'm very excited.

Hi i have got myself a Hawkins 14 litre 'Big Boy', its great and i am extremely happy with it.

Got the sterilising thing down pat, no probs there.

Just wondering if anyone who has one of these knows how you go about pasteurising substrate using it?

I would have thought that maybe cooking at a lower temperature or lower pressure for a shorter period of time would be the answer. The only thing is it only cooks at 15PSI so this is not adjustable, unless you leave off the special weight but then you have to guess what pressure it is cooking at?

Alternatively, i can turn the electric stove down very low but i can only think this will still end up sterilising my mix because the unit is designed to build pressure even if the temp. is low?

I am confused................please advise