The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Andy the Great Something

Caapi legality?

So, B. Caapi vine sections are illegal to purchase in the OZ? Howfor whycome? Seams rather harmless to me.... What if it was Vine section art, or display specimens. Was just curious as to the situation as I've got a bunch of this stuff I'd like to offer up for trade, but I don't want to break any laws (I live in the U.S.). And no, this is not a subtle attempt at offering it up for trade without actually offering it up for trade, so if it is illegal don't pm me.

harmaline is a scheduled drug. anything containing harmaline is deemed to be harmaline. If you send 2g of caapi bark into australia then in at least two states this is equivalent to importing 1 kilo of heroin ("large commercial quantity"), both of which carry a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

In other states the penalty is bound to be somewhat lower, but keep in mind that it is also a customs prohibited drug import and can get you charged under federal law.

The quantity listing for this substance is ridiculous and I have no idea how they came up with that amount, but that's what it is.

It makes no difference what the item is that contains the drug. Even if a Picasso was dipped in acid it would still be regarded as acid. Live plants excluded in most cases.

Dang, that does sound pretty precarious. Well, at least you can grow it....... not to mention lopho's (which are illegal for non-natives in the states.) I can't even grow L. Diffusa and it's supposedly inactive.

So what about harmala seeds? It seems to me that the main use for those is as a cloth dye. Though technically not a picasso dipped in acid...... Ha!

It appears drug laws are crazy all over the place.

Seeds enjoy a special exemption in some cases. eg, they are still illegal to import (technically, but customs hasn't worked that out yet), but they are legal to sell locally as they are a seed and seeds are exempt under certain state laws.

what 2 states? i know 1 of course

PM me if you dont like to say

in the other states wouldnt the dilution legislation come into effect?

you know 0.1 % for herbs like tribulus and passionflower

what 2 states? i know 1 of course

Q, NSW. I am also pretty sure on SA, ACT and Vic.

the other states wouldnt the dilution legislation come into effect?

Not all states have this.

the other states wouldnt the dilution legislation come into effect?

Not all states have this.

ok adding to the list then

WA has this exemption as its where i came across it first

of course separate schedules make it clear you cant put rue or capi in a therapeutic good

but it might still help for personal usage

I wouldnt be so sure of that, the Maya Ethnobotanicals text quoted in the thread is a generalization about importing thier ethnobotanicals into Australia and in the below part it is basicly a disclaimer saying, you better check jst to be sure.. LOL

You will also need to contact the following Australian government departments to make sure that they do not place restrictions on the importation (of) our products:

(Edited for grammer and spelling.)

Edited by AndyAmine.

it appears it is possible

to import Caapi to OZ

It is possible, but that does not make it a particularly clever idea.

How long or when did caapi become illegal in Oz?

how did that come to pass?

Hot cappi, harmala alkaloids are illegal and the way our law works, harvested material is said to be a preparation and can be weighed as a whole instead of just the actives contained within. ie, lophs alive legal, dried lophs illegal, tech evan an unrooted cactus cut if they wanna get picky (even though this is a common prop method) So cappi alive is legal to grow and sell, harvested cappi is not. But not cause it's cappi, cause it contains harmala alk's. Same as khat, live plant legal, dried leaves not. It's all a bit of a grey area I beleive and it comes down to intent. And wat intent they can prove.

Wow... that is wild.

So you can buy Caapi and grow it... but you just cant harvest it and use it.

interesting.