The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Odd Growth

Hi,

i have a clone that has some knots on or near the areoles. Trout mentioned this too in his San Pedro Book. He called this "Odd Growth". Does someone know what it exactly could be? Maybe Some similar stuff like vestigal leaves? I´m just wondering. I called it the balls cactus.

post-1140-1133375448_thumb.jpg

It looks like a monstrose mutation lacking a meristem to divide further with, but thats a guess.

Its interesting and I have not seen anything like it in my own collection.

You aren't kidding!

That is wild.

I wonder if grafting one of those growths with an areole attached to it would result in anything interesting.

Sounds cool. I´ll make some graftings of these balls. Do you think that it´s more likely for them to survive the process of grafting if i remove them including one areole each?

Thanks! It would have been too cool if you could graft only the ball-like monstrose parts without any normal growth. I haven´t touched the cactus yet as i was still wondering about the balls.

Wow thats really cool. One of my cacti is doing something kind of similar. One of the creases between the ribs seems to be growing outwards, connecting the two ribs. Ill snap a picture when I get a working camera in a few days.

Cacti are so cool..I love how much variation and how many wierd mutations there are :)

It looks like the growth tip is damaged.

Was it drilled or some rot maybe?

Hi,

i was wondering about this too. I often saw this on wild Trichocereus and some of mine have it too so i don´t think it´s a kind of Rot.Maybe it´s due to climate and weather outside. It doesn´t seem to cause any damage. But who knows.

bestRegs Eg

post-1140-1133448235_thumb.jpg

i had some similar damage to a few of my own plants over last winter. i came to the, as yet unproven conclussion that it was due to frost damage, most likely from moisture pooling around the tip and freezing over night. could be the same in your case maybe...?

all affected plants have continued to grow happliy, just left with a few ugly scars...

I have seen frost damage that looks similar as well.

What it looks like is that it was in some shade, grew a bit and then went into bright light and the new growth burned, but it could be cold related.