The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
M S Smith

"Echinopsis pachanoi"

This plant is clearly NOT the "Backeberg" clone. I wish I knew the location this was growing at, and may inquire from the source I gathered the photo, a french cactus site.

Incredible plant that is quite identical to the "short spined T. peruvianus" from CC/CCC.

~Michael~

post-19-1133068028_thumb.jpg

The color and the type of bloom on that first plants reminds me greatly of the MG 'small spine', note the width does not seem too great (hard to say though) and the plants are not shiny at all but reminiscent of some scopulicolus in their drab dark green color, the bloom is not particularly blue/grey at all.

A hillside covered in pedro....

:o

It's just like in my dreams...

:worship: ^_^ :worship:

That photo is pretty incredible eh?

Here's some of my own "short spine T. peruvianus" for comparison.

~Michael~

post-19-1133099841_thumb.jpg

LOL. Posting a picture like that screams out "trade with me."

er, I hope it could... :innocent_n:

Mike, do you know where the native habitat ss peruvianus came from?

Hey Pisgah, if your keeping up with the other threads it would seem it comes from northern Peru, but you can also find the same sorts of plants all the way down near Matucana outside of Lima in central Peru. Certainly this plant would appear to be one carried around a bit, likely due to its ethnobotanical value. Some sligh tvariations would appear to come with location, crossing, or growing conditions.

~Michael~

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I meant to capitalize the "Native Habitat" in the previous post. I was talking about the vendor. They haven't said where their clone comes from, but I would guess it is the CC clone.

I was just trying to figure out if it was an MG seedling, or a clone from the CC.

Sorry for the confusion. I do read the other threads, and appreciate you posting such great info. :)

I don't have any MS 'short spine', but I have four MG 'small spine' none of which are shiney at all.

How many representatives of the MS 'short spine' are there? Is it a single (attractive) clone?

Pisgah, my plants came mostly from Cactus Corral (CC), who then appears to have sold off many of their plants to California Cactus Center (CCC). I've had a few other plants come through that are identical to the CC/CCC plants, and they are around if you look hard enough.

Archaea, in another thread I posted a bunch of photos of the Mesa Garden "small spine T. peruvianus," and skin reflectivity is quite variable. I owe you a clipping of the "short spine" come spring. The "short spine" appears to be just a single "clone" so far. I'm not aware of anyone having crossed it with another plant for seed.

~Michael~

toooo langa langa tooo langa langa

You are right, I was wrong, the MG "Small Spine" can be somewhat shiny as can any of these plants it seems, though in my opinion and limited experience it is more drab and less blue and less glossy than the Icaro plants pictured.