The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Scopolamine sources?

Hi all!

Was doing a bit of research, and came across a tidbit on mulgas site about D. myoporoides. It says that in Sydney, this plant does not produce scopolamine, rather it produces hyoscyamine due to climate or somesuch.

Is this true? I do not mind owning a D. myoporoides, but I would like a source of each of pure (as possible) tropanes to experiment with in the hopes of discovering the best.

I have Atropa belladonna for atropine, Hyoscyamus niger/albus and D. stramonium v. tatula for hyoscyamine, and am looking for a scopolamine source.

My hopes had rested with D. myoporoides, but that looks unpromising now (if this information is true).

Are there any other plants that do pure scopolamine? If so, can I get seeds? :P

Much love.

~apothecary

At some stage of growth Datura produces mainly scopolamine, I can get some information about this. I think it is seedlings grown in the dark, but I forget.

You are hell bent on spreading this myth about Desfontainia, aren't you?

Please stop.

As for sources of scopolamine, you might want to have a look at Iochroma. I can supply leaves of the dark blue species.

Sorry this one and the other one posted at the same time last night. Will edit.

Will look at Iochroma. Thanks :)

arrrrghh! yes. :uzi:

Apoth has decided that because the name "Borrachero" which means intoxicant in the local language is applied to both Brugmansia and Desfontania, that both must contain scopolamine.

Please please make this idea go away. Quickly.

btw, I don't have a problem with considering the possibility of tropanes in this species, but this should be done on the basis of traditional usage, chemical analysis, or bioassay. My objection is about jumping to conclusions and creating hysteria (which is more due to the way people react to the word tropane than to the actual way you post about it). I'd really like some decent work done into this herb as it is readily available, but does not have any established procedure or dosage. Personally I am certain it is not of a tropane nature, but then again, it is difficult to ascertain these things if you're not getting any decent effect :rolleyes: