The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

community chemical testing setup thing

the question was raised in mirc chat the other night about whether we could start a community testing of extracts or plant material and whether there would be any legal implications. The idea was to setup TLC, maybe get a UV spectro of ebay and some do column chromatography for people, for a small fee (really could only charge a few bucks) and tell them what their plant, extract contains. obviously it would be exxy to start up and there could be legal problems with storing pure samples of the compounds. People extract from plant material all the time and to qualitative tests to see what the plant contains so i cant see any problem with that.

what are the legel problems of this. i just want the legal problems not the practical problems :)

only legal things i see is that it would need to be a registered bussiness. only in order to make money, if it were a non profit organisation (fees collected cover the cost of extraction and such but would be difficult to argue) the it may be a different story.

the other one is about what things the bussiness would be testing. if it were illegal substances the group would need federal authorisation to do so.

another would be the possibility of OD's and insurance/disclaimers that subject would have to sign. but thats more practical...

Edited by Amulte

just to be clear this isnt a send me your drugs and i tell you whats in them kinda thing. just i know that analysis of the compounds found in a plant is common practise, and labs that do it dont get in trouble and im sure they dont have any liscense that lets them do illegal things. so where do you draw the line. qualitative or quantitative analysis?

if you did not take the equipment into account each sample would still cost at least $50 in labor and materials.

The equipment would have to comprise a HPLC and a GC/MS to cover most aspects. That's 10k and 60K respectively. We've been planing to do something like that for a few years, but ran out of money.

You also need a secure facility to house all this as well as a processing lab.

I just never got around to instigating it... oh well for bodo.

Edited by darcy