The Corroboree
Endrogen

Anyone else use melatonin or 5-htp

I bought some melatonin hoping it would fix my late sleep onset and after a few days noticed they don't really help you go to sleep but instead help you have a more satisfying sleep, as i wake up after a normal 8hrs of sleep i feel like i can get out of bed instead of feeling like i need more sleep.

i'm also getting some other positive effects, but wanna here what other people have to say.

Anyone else using these supplements?

Yes I have used melatonin on quite a few occasions in the past and am awaiting a shipment atm(as are some other members).

I have delayed sleep onset as well and I found that melatonin won't put you to bed like say a sleeping tablet does(YUK-hangovers and shit), but you do get "the calling" about 15-30 mins after taking some and that's when you need to head to bed no matter what.If you don't you just sit there yawning for ages and eventually go to bed at the same ungodly hour...nothing gained except as you say a better sleep.

The quality and duration of sleep though IME are FANTASTIC as is the next day!

I have always awoken fresh and ready to go which as you would know doesn't happen with DSOS ever :wink:

Does wonders for the mood next day too...I believe melatonin and seritonin are partners in crime :D

I'm sure Torsten will fill you in with more detail on the brain chemistry side as he's helped me heaps on these subjects.

so i guess after a few days without it i'll go back to my regular dysfuntional sleeping pattern?

He he heh Endro - You sound a little like me - I am usually still up at 3:30 am - I usually work from 4pm to 12pm. So I need time to get the work buzz out of the system after work. So when I wake up at 11am - I drink my breakfast concoction and head out to the north shore to check out the surf.

ONLY ON DAYS THAT I KNOKW THAT THE SURF IS GOING TO BE GOOD I WILL DOWN SOME MELATONIN THE NIGHT BEFORE. If I am still grogy in the morning from the Melatonin,.... I give myself some tyrosine or even caffeine to kick start the system - he he eh. BTW that breakfast concoction i down is usually a mix of Oatmeal & Some of the weight gainer bodybuilding feed! ( Gets me totally pumped with ready energy )

The but the only good way to get it out o bed early is SELF DICIPLINE! < I hate hearing this just as much as most people do - I mean comeon,.. "that nice & warm bed and pillow that you love to hold onto!"

But yeah,... dicipline

----

But melatonin helps meget to sleep much faster,... although,.. when I have too much work or whatever in my system,... then I think it is the tension in the body that keeps me awake, so that is where the muscle relaxants come in. I take the diazepham that is actually intended to calm our dogs with newyears fireworks. Hi hi hi

i love ,elatonin. i smoke way too much pot, so my sleeping patterns are pretty fucked up. it always sends me to sleep within half an hour of taking it, and whats more, i have intense dreams. it doesnt, however, work when any type of amphetamine is going strong in your system.

i took 5-htp for a week and it was great, but after a week i didnt really notice anythign, so i stopped taking it. now i only take it if im feeling depressed for no apparent reason and it always makes that go away. no idea if thats psychosematic but i dont really care, it works :D

Yeah i take 5-htp on occasion if i start getting into a pattern of restless sleep or if i just need a general mood lift. Oh and its great for dreams, if i get a day to sleep in (anything over 6 hours) its fun to take a couple before bed too :)

Yeah, i find i can easily recall dreams more than usual aswell.. i think i'll just use it whenever my sleeping gets out of wak like some of you said, and try some 5-htp when i run out.

I have trouble sleeping. I'm not really an insomniac, as I always end up getting enough sleep. I just can't sleep at the right times. I used to be a baker and this certainly compounded the problem as it was full time night shift. I have tried sublingual melatonin tablets and I didn't find them helpful at all. I tried them for a few weeks and only noticed that when I AM tired it just made me feel worse, rather than helping me sleep. But I often have trouble switching of my brain when I need to sleep. I have tried a valerian sleep formula too and I noticed no effects whatsoever. The only thing that has ever helped has been mj, but I don't use that anymore, and so my sleeping's been pretty bad for the last eight months or so. I have thought about trying prescription sleeping pills, but had heard about the hangovers and whatnot, and thought I'm probably better off trying meditation or something to help me learn to turn my brain off.