The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

New govt alcohol campaign

http://www.alcohol.gov.au/guidelines/index.htm

my partner and i cracked up when they were handing out bags with this info printed on it

"no more than 4 standard drinks per day on average

no more than 6 standard drinks on any one day

one or 2 alcohol free days per week "

now to me that sounds ludicrous

especially the last bit - 1 or 2 free days a week!!!

shit if somebodies drinks that much that regularly arent they already an alcoholic?

i tend to think i drink too much if have 2 or more days a week when i have a drink, im happy with 1.

its a sad thing in my area but i guess its country wide that i see people who obviously dont have a lot of money carrying home cartons of bought beer , and all the local tradesmens seem to be pissheads. you pay them for a job and they are straight down the pub to piss it against the wall, and i dont mean just a few, they stay as long as they can afford

very sad. Its a real drain on the economic, social structure and health of society

the ony winners are the governmnet tax coffers and the alcohol companies who make sell and tax a commodity that is SO cheap to make that the value of the bottle its in probably exceeds the value of the flavoured water within - yet its priced so high

hah..looks like im going to have to increase my alcohol intake by about 150% to fit into the new healthy guidelines :rolleyes:

I only drink about once/month. Does that mean that is an unhealthy amount to drink? Should I be drinking alot more?

I'm probably putting my health at risk! :blink:

shit if somebodies drinks that much that regularly arent they already an alcoholic?

an alcoholic has a psychologic need for grog. they think they cant deal without it. if they keep going with the drinking then they develope alcoholism, which is the pysical dependance.

a drunk on the other hand :wink: , they like to get pissed. they dont have to or even feel they need to. they can very happily live without it, but they enjoy it. yall know i dont mind a drink, but IMHO one drink is one too many.

As the NWA barber shop quartet sang...

"Nooo,nooo , noo ,n oooooo

ba dum dum dum

dont drink that wine,

coke would be better.

its easy to find.

if that wont do smoke a joint or two,

just dont drink that wiiiiinnnne.

nooo that wiineee"

I only drink about once/month. Does that mean that is an unhealthy amount to drink? Should I be drinking alot more?

I'm probably putting my health at risk! blink.gif

Hmmm, that depends on how many cones you make up for it with.. LOL :P

To become physically dependent on alcohol, and then youre talking delirium tremens, hallucinations and physical pain from no alcohol, you need about a bottle of wine + 1 standard drink per day for a couple of months. Im not 100% on the couple of months tho, it might be less

To become physically dependent on alcohol, and then youre talking delirium tremens, hallucinations and physical pain from no alcohol, you need about a bottle of wine + 1 standard drink per day for a couple of months. Im not 100% on the couple of months tho, it might be less

Still that raises a good question. how m,uch does it take to become physically dependant?

so is that the official definition of alcoholism?

Im sure i know plenty of people who drink religiously, yet dont appear alcoholic

that is they keep their lives together, have better jobs than me, are materially much better off than me in everyway

but i notice that they dont go a day without drink, or especially a social event

maybe they are not addicts, just habituated, where do we cross over?

on the other hand i know people who are not alcoholics but are definitely drunks

myself included. I dont really like alcohol and dont use it regularly, but when i do i do tend to overindulge

i wouldnt care about a drink with a meal, id just as soon have no alcohol, but if i have a beer with friends then we might as well make it a carton or 2 in a night :puke:

i do enjoy getting smashed - i like the euphoria and altered states of heavy intoxication- i do not enjoy the steady drinkers plateau that occurs when you drink slowly

Yeah thats whats been found to be the amount required to hit alcohol dependence; physical dependence with other social repercussions. Then there is alcohol abuse; "drinking in situations which can cause problems or increase the risk of harm" (Dsm IV), which is what you were talking about Rev. The numbers on those drinking cards are the borderline between alcohol use and abuse, when combined with some other symptoms. As we all know some people can drink a carton a day til theyre 90 with no ill effects and some can binge drink occasionally and have cirrhosis of the liver :P