The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Conan Troutman

Erythrina Mulunga

Anyone heard or maybe even used this Amazonian plant? Said to be better than

kava in anti anxiolytic stakes.

Maybe thinking of import. :innocent_n:

It's a great muscle relaxant, but doesn't seem to be as efficient with the CNS as kava. Certainly not much of a recreational.

It's a great muscle relaxant, but doesn't seem to be as efficient with the CNS as kava. Certainly not much of a recreational.

Ok,wasnt certain of a reply

saves some time and effort...Cheers :)

sorry, didn't mean to discourage. It's a great muscle relaxant and some people get a really good sleep from taking it. It seems to especially help people who do not get much relief from benzos, so there is a real niche there.

all seeds of mulungu i ordered from sab were germinated in 4 days!

:D

i've just scratch the seed coat and put them in hot water and again hot water and again and again....till they doubled their size...

after 2 days in water i planted them, 2 days later --->germination.

i'll start use this method for every seed with hard coat :P

but after many years this tree produce seeds?

I have Mulunga in the form of shredded wood from Raintree that I bought about 7 or 9 years ago. A simple alcohol, water base tincture has remained potent for a long time, just two droppers full being a medium strong sedative. I also find it to be a touch warm, with some character and it goes nice with other relaxants. Overall, I am a big fan, in my opinion it is much better than scullcap, and most of the other common herbal sedatives, but the only problem is I get an achy head (hangover) the day after that is enough to keep me from using it often. My guess is that at least half the people that like that sort of thing would agree that it is one of the strongest and most interesting non-opiate sedatives.

Another good one from raintree is Abuta which contains the muscle relaxant Isochondodendrine, which is a relative to the relaxant which occurs in curare I think. It also has tetrandine. Abuta is specifically treasured by women in Brazil and known as midwives herb, according to Raintree. It relaxes muscles in the lower body cavity region so helps releive discomfort from menstruation and other ailments. Raintree notes that aside from "tetrandrine, Cissampelos pareira contains palmatine, hayatinin and other berbine derivatives." I recall that some form of palmatine is one of the analgesics that occur in the bulbs of the famed Chinese Medicine for pain, Corydalis. They wrote berbine, did they mean berberine? If so, it might also be good for colds, sore throats, pushing bile along too when you need that.

The next favorite is Desmodium adsendens, they call Amor Seco. I have heard it called "strong back," as it is used as a pain killer, relaxant, and likely due to the tetrahydroisoquinolines that might be considered to have effects somewhat like some of the essentials in Corydalis and Abuta above. I expect Shulgin might tell us more about these chems specifically if he ever lets us get a copy of the ones he knows and loves. Oh, and for immune systems, it has astragalin too. Also tossed in are beta phenylethylamines and hmmmmmmmm, is cyanidin a form of cyanide?

From Raintree: Astragalin, Beta-phenylethylamines, Cosmosiin, Cyanidin-3-o-sophoroside, Dehydrosoyasaponin I, Hordenine, Pelargonidin-3-o-rhamnoside, Salsoline, Soyasaponin I, Soyasaponin II, Soyasaponin III, Tectorigenin, Tetrahydroisoquinolines, Triterpenoid Saponins, Tyramine