The Corroboree
Cyjack

Help with Psychotria viridis

I have had a Psychotria viridis for a couple of years now, and it has been slow growing. I have always notived black ants on it, but seeing as the plant never showed major signs of bad health and the ants seemed to keep the mites away, I left it alone.

Tired of the slow process now though, I go to wash the ants away, and find that they have been laying/moving/harvesting what look like small eggs in the spaces between the plants new shoots and leaves - so I tried to wash them away - and realised that there appears to be a whole colony living in the rockwool.

What can I do to save this plant? :(

Go Noah on them,

Drown them by submersing the whole pot in a bucket of water for an hour or so!

Thanks mate - might try it... but not sure the plant will survive the process. Hope so - :rolleyes:

I think you'll find that the ants are looking after another infestation and being rewarded by them for their work.Are you sure you don't have mealy bugs as well?

If not on the leaves then check the roots.

If ants become a huge problem, do what I do with my Bonsai:

Submerge the whole pot for about an hour, like darkstar said, and then put the pots on a plastic table of some sort.

Put the table-legs in buckets, and fill them with water.

The only way ants are getting back in there, is if they fly in! It's like 4 little moats. :)

After yesterdays drenching, the plant seems clear of ants - as I instinctively placed the pot on a plate inside a shallow container of water... - thanks Benzito :)

It did have mealy bugs on it - but seems clear now. Its in the green house now under some shade, so hopefully the warmth in there will help dry the soil.

Cheers -