The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
eeroborroc

Car Audio - Subwoofer Vibrations

By the sound of it your stereo is worth more than your car :P maybe the tack welds that hold the boot lid to its supporting frame may have vibrated loose , you must be generating alot of sound pressure (not sure if that's a word but you get the idea) in there. How's the sub mounted ? I would be suprised if the bumper would give of a high pitched squeek as it is plastic , sounds more like a metal vibration possibly a heat sheild on the cat convertor/muffler if it is at the rear or it may be just sound pressure escaping around the boot seal. Another comon source of rear rattles/squeeks can be the number plate , try taking the number plate off at home and see if this makes a difference.The best approach is a process of elimination , eliminate potential sources one by one and see if it can't be located. Even the tail lights vent stright from the boot so maybe it could be a loose tail light letting sound pressure escape ?

I hear a lot of people stuff their pannels and anything else that vibrates with a mix of foam, styrofoam and that spray that expands and turns into semihard foam.

I helped a guy doing it in the car park behing a car stereo place near me. looked like a real pain in the ass but diferent strokes for diferent folkes.. :) it made a huge diference tho.

I does sound pretty silly doesnt it, not to mention the vibration damage it does to your car, loosening screws/bolts and pannels etc.. making all those niggling little rattles and noises that drive you mad on a quiet contry drive and that you cant fix without spending countless hours ripping out your console/dash. LOL

I've got a 95 TS Magna, that I USED to have 2x Clarion 12"s in it.

At 35-40hz, it made it hard to breathe, if you cranked it. :D

Anyways, first thing: take your rear license plate off. Is there alot less noise now?

Probably. That was a major source of vibration for me.

You need rubber spacers of some sort, for the mounting screws to go through, underneath the license plate.

Then, buy a few rolls of a bitumen-based sound deadener. (I used 'Brown Bread' brand, from jaycar electronics) It is that black, gummy stuff, that comes with an Aluminium foil backing.

Cover the back of the license plate with this, if it is still vibrating.

Next step: tighten every bolt and screw in the boot.

The bumper bar is actually held on with black,plastic, push-in type clips. So, it's pretty hard to reduce vibration there. I never worked out a good method.

Now you want to line the boot lid with the sound-deadener aswell.

I cut it into triangles, and fit them between the webbing on the boot lid. (You'll see what I'm talking about)

And then, just push big sheets of it over the webbing, and the little triangles of deadener. So, the underside of your bootlid will end up being shiny, smooth and silver. :)

Let me know if you want some more info. I'm at work right now, and that's all that I could think of, off the top of my head.

I'm sure that the high pitched one is the bumper bar. (mine made a similar noise)

But, as I said, the way it mounts to the car makes it hard to improve.

There are holes on the frame of the car, and there are holes that co-incide, in the bumper.

A black plastic clip pushes through this, you know, the ones that compress down from one side, but once they are through the hole, they pop back out.

So, they only kind of 'hold' the bumper against the car. It's not mounted tight.

I could never think of anything to improve these mounts?