The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
onz

Sterilising mushrooms for drying

Idon't have any experience here, but when rolling cigars, curing tobacco their are larvae that can hatch from eggs laid on leaves. These can eat holes through a cigar ten times in one day! To prevent them you first sterilize the leaves by freezing, this calls all the eggs and active larvae, maybe you could try this.

It is believed the potency varies considerably, and will be at best mild. lycaeum states it only contains psilocybin, no psilocin .

I am yet to confirm, I would have this afternoon, but the company turned sour :angry: .

this'is a different subject but I'd love to continue it further...

Panaeolus campanulatus is synonymous with P. papilionaeceus. IMO its probably just another Paneolus only suspected of being psychoactive like P. antilarium and foenisecii. Although it is possible that one mushroom species in different areas may differ in edibility e.g something that is poisonous here may be perfectly safe to eat when grown and picked overseas. Stamets reported eating 30 fresh specimens with no effects. IMO If this species was active it would of been confirmed by now because of how common it is. Also just more speculation but maybe reports of it being active could have been false because dried Panaeoli look very similair and this species cap fissures with age like P. cyanescens. Obviously there is no harm in finding out for yourself (because its not poisonous) as long as you are 100% certain of the identity.

! To prevent them you irst sterilize the leaves by freezing, this killls all the eggs and active larvae, maybe you could try this.

That sounds easy enough. I had imagined freezing raw mushrooms would result in mushroom slop after thawing due to ice crystals destroying the cell wall, but after a short search on the net didn't see anything that said that.

Alright i'd just like to say activity will never be personally confirmed. I had a FOAF make a citric acid solution (for potentiation - shroomery thread) of the dried camps on monday night but after an hour of replacing filters he accidently nocked the solution over with the neck of his guitar :angry:

So there! shit game!

But yeah probably no activity. Some have been known to eat up to 100 with no effect. But that wasn't the point of this thread so i don't care

Freezing would almost definitely turn the shrooms to some sort of slop, but once dry their would be little difference, It's better than having a shroom full of maggots!

Guess you would have to know how long it takes shrooms to freeze to slop and how long it takes for freezing to kill the pests?