The Corroboree
naja naja

S.W, limited distribution?

@nut

are you saying you have established a patch 16 yrs ago outside of the b-town or is this

a patch you've been picking at in the b-town for 16 yrs ???

if its something you've created i'd love to hear some more about it after its been established for such a long time

such as how big is it and does it fruit well

mate its one ive known of for 16 years,not created.ive seen it do some interesting things over such time,like move its general area,by some distance and old areas within 50 meters no longer fruit,amongst other things.it is some distance from bal town but still in the valley,extensive search of the immediate area has never shown a thing,ive always been amazed it hasnt really spread as such,but low rainfall seems to have lowered fruit levels.i value this area as i know it was once well known at least by a few but can pretty safely say no one else goes there now.i personally find in this area that they have no spesh love for pines and are mostly found in areas bordering them and in native areas with abundance of long grass,but have seen them in areas with full sun exposure and no long grass though this is rare.ive only once found em in mature pines i think once pines get large enough to block most light underneath they move else where.the shit of it is areas that should still fruit dont and then blackberry vines seem a prob,so many mysteries !

the 16 year old patch is still fruiting over a 500 sq meter area at a guess,but they are well spread around,not the dense area i remember,when u had to be careful where u stood

Edited by nut

i gotta agree with the pine tree thing i've never found them growing in pine forest

i did find a few in full sunlight where a pineforest had been cut down a few yrs earlier

ive always found them in and around eucalypts

yes yes! if one bothers to look amongst pines they need to be still allowing light to hit the forrest floor,there is soooo many myths about subs,like they need pines,that they disappear after a day(thats the most retarded one),they contain strychnine,if they were introduced to with pines they sure dont like living amongst old growth pines.for a couple weeks this winter i will be staying some distance south of bal,town and will have access to very large amounts of farm land,im planning a general myco study,not just a sub hunt.im veryt keen to look at the edibles as i think there are largre amounts down there,as ive said in the 1950s my grandad and fam had a farm near nannup and he was sure he had seen subs whilst pickin edibles,he was a cluey bloke and i guess i gotta believe him and this means they where around b4 any hippies inro,ed them,another bullshit myth i believe.if they were introduced the one tree they will associate with here is the tassie blue gum and the native forrest,mite be interesting to c when blue gums were imported and where,if peeps believe they are introduced.there are plenty of eg of native aus plants and animals occuring in very limited ranges,why cant it be so with wa subs,there appears differences with eastern states subs and out of all aus range of subs the sw w.a. is the one place experiencing VERY low usual rainfall ,farmer mates in bridgetown are stressing outa their minds,ive noticed spesh this year in summer big probs with the native caryfish marron as streams have become still ,oxygen depleted ,pools,after talking to mates at fisheries they have said its possible big old marron have either been in stasis or just died due to lack of decent water,sure they have various techs like trying to walk(at night)to better water,but,if there no better water they just die on land.shrooms cannot move like this they are at the whim of the weather.ive heared storys for years where young crew have filled sleeping bags and garbage bags but even in the early days of my studyin subs ive not seen patches in wa,that you could do that kind of selfish pickin.i had a patch im my backyard in an area near Katoomba,twas a big block and id been thinking for weeks it was the perfect clim,than on mothers day in 00 i found a patch in the classic long grass,they appear to love,at the very back of the block at the bottom of a slope that all water would naturally flow,what pissed me off the most as i still dont think they love pines,there was an old radiata alive but half lying on the ground,around this in said grass were a good couple hundred some as big as ive ever seen ,but apperance wise they were copies of w.a. subs,i studied the development of that patch till winter got frosty,next year,less rain ,less fruit,no other changes i could tell.without sounding too out there it was like they were shouting at me,i pretty much walked rite to that spot and found one immediately.although its obvious really that my eyes know what to look for in ideal grow locations.16 years is long enough to have done my outdoor ed in subs lol,but thats really the extent of my knowledge knowing where to look and knowing what they look like through all phases and conditions,old dry ones looking little like wet little angel nipples lol,and down south its getting harder and harder,for what ever resaon.all peeps with knowledge of active patches need to keep that to em selves as they just cant cope with much more pressure,its amazing as ive said before that they do not seem to spread fast at all,as ive searched large ares around my vintage area and nothing,great conditions but nothing and ive known they have deff had 16 years to spread,even if someones dumb enough to give away these locals they better be specific,as you could be 50 m away from a gold mine and think the area dead,i think the idea of creating patches is great as the wild stocks cant take it,i know of peeps who have spread spores and mycil down that way since feb and will let you know how they go,the only success in perth i heared bout was on this thread,proving it can be done.,lot safer for consumers to go out the back and pick then a 6 hr round trip and the very serious poss of gettin done im really unsure bout our subs being poor producers,i may have to look at the rainfall averages in eastern areas versus sw,im not a mad fan of introducing new natives,golden perch(eastern native)and redfin perch ,trout(pommy)have really fucked our marron(big ass freshwater crays) in areas,one need to have a damn good think before unleashing something,if its climate conditions theres no point introin eastern states subs as they wont do well anyway,without wanting to fuck myself and others maybe peeps should be looking for purpuratus in perth!!their here,they appear to be interesting to" Gourmets" as such and are in bad need of reasearch.if ya take the time to look maybe you will find an alternative near your house!!maybe,if you do look in swamps around perth be sure to take fotos and or prints for id purps

side by side, mel subs fruit earlier and with less rainfall than W.A. versions on identical substrates, consisting mainly of calophylla.

• Like 1

that bein the case, sounds like they could be damn useful over here!

if naja naja has the melbourne variety fruiting perhaps you could send a few spore prints or cultures to some fellow west australians

to help spread them around the fact that we're all in the same state should make postage not a problem at all

i've been hoping to try get some spore prints of some of the eastern varieties if there is anyone who would like to sell

pm me

I had made up a large amount of substrate with P. Azure mycelium through it. Unfortunately my plans to spread it through large areas of woodchips have been undone by our lovely summer heat.

Looks like I killed it.

Anyone got some they could spare?

I have also been spreading G. Purpulus through the hills of the Perth area though, and will be checking how successful this has been tomorrow evening

In my opinion there are plenty of very good locations in the perth area for starting patches, particular in the hills.

Only thing letting down Perth at present is this lack of rainfall, but golf coarses in bush areas usually have retic

Commercial growers are using Pickering brook as suitable location for cultivation.......

I have been to patches regularly in B-town since 2000, I just dont bother now because they have been desvatated by bogans destroying the bush and littering why they are at it and generally having to respect for leaving some behind to spore for next season.

I may however have a bit of a look this year purely to get some mycelium and spread it through the perth hills a bit, unless someone wants to save me the trip and send me a small sample.

Is time for some Mushroom freedom fighters to colinise Perth, and I am definately down with that!

@sidewayschef

if you colonised some wood substrate you may still be able to revive it give it some water

if the myc has made its way into the wood it can still survive even through hot dry conditions

try rehydrating it with alot of water and see if anything starts to come bak over time

I doubt the azure myc is dead, just let them rehydrate and I rekon they will boom away. Sub myc can go bone dry over summer only to bounce back with the first rains. Spreading melb sub myc would be far more benificial IMO. All it takes is 3 or 4 chips spawned into a small jar and then snowball it.

NUT quote....ive heared storys for years where young crew have filled sleeping bags and garbage bags but even in the early days of my studyin subs ive not seen patches in wa,that you could do that kind of selfish pickin. ........

there is patches down there like that. i knew these guys who would go down and come back with a boot load weekly without fail. even when we had crap rainfall they'd come back with at least 900

this is true i to know people who go there every week or 2 and pick a thousand or more everytime without fail

and from wat i know one of the people who does it the most only has like 2 different spots to go to

so there is definately good spots there its just a matter of knowing where to go

some of the best spots are on private property. its good to make local friends down there ;) we gotta spread this love and NOWS the time.

Hmm, well sounds positive, maybe I will make the effort for a weekend down south soon...

my old spot is on private land,that is prob why it still there,all the ready access areas like all the blue gum areas are farrrrked,just like the chef says,i really cant agree with peeps taking 900 ,theres a reason why have fishing bag limits if ya get me,their just takin that many to sell as well,grow ya own if ya wanna do stuff like that,or take only what you need to survive.clearly with the length of this thread there a LOT of interest in em.i just cant agree with rape and pillage,im sure if i bothered to count in the past 900 would be poss,but not recently and 900 subs sure aint gunna fill sleeping bag or a garbage bag,and it sure is a lot more than personal use!!!!think of the no u could fit in a normal placky shopping bag,its a lot,all depends on size.with all the interest i think they are gunna need all the help they can get.....