The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
infinite_monkey

looking for brugmansia pollen

does anybody by any chance have some available pollen of preferably suaveolens but candida is ok the more strongly coloured the better, will be using to pollinate a aurea that is strongly yellow sulpher colour, so can either send some of the aurea pollen or some seeds of the hybrid once it has seeded if you dont mind waiting for it to do its thing

thanks

[ 30. August 2004, 16:10: Message edited by: infinite_monkey ]

I have

White suaveolens (flowers)

Peach candida (flowers)

white arborea (not flowering but already X with white suaveolens and nearing maturity)

White suaveolens x pink suaveolens (immature plant)

At Mt cootha in the herb sectrion you will find a double white candida which though plain coloured might ad some nice structure to the breeding effort :) Ive tried taking cuttings but have failed to date - poor preparation. Ill guarantee ill have some peach x double whites growing by this time next year.

sorry dont have what you need this time but keep me in mind as you might want to continue with pollen of any of these or other things i find in the meantime

Got a sanguinea flowering atm if you're interested.

ed

I am intrigued about aurea pollen. I have never seen any pollen on my flowers. I have checked at all times of the day and night and various stages of the flowers, but nothing. Aureas don't seem to be good podparents, so this is a bit of a problem for me. Anyone with info, please share it here.

have pollen for aurea, pink or white suaveolens, peach or white/double candida (rarely), arborea (rarely), red or yellow sanguinea.

my double white candidas have a dozen nearly mature pods on,a yellow aurea[already mentioned?] was the donner i beleive.should be similar to the pod i had last year.

lost my 3 cm vulcanicola bud last night but theres 3 more little ones.

2 pods on a sang were pollenated only with vulc and are going well.the larger about half grown.there was not much pollen visible on the vulc but it appears to have worked so my guess is its very viable[not the word i wanted but].

sauveolens from im has 2 pods which seem to have taken,again with the aurea.

'frosty yellow' just sorting itself out,seems to have a few successes again with the aurea,which has copious pollen about 60% of the time and none most of the rest.

double white rarely has any pollen.

my arborea x sang is nearly a metre high but no flowers yet.

sorry i have no flowers at the moment for the plants you wish to pollenate,have only arborea and sang , which should not be successful.

im,i have tried to pollenate the yellow aurea many times with all suitable pollens i have had with no luck.it seems a good donor but not a good setter.had some big flowers with thick stems that looked promising but still nothing.

t s t .

[ 31. August 2004, 09:35: Message edited by: t st tantra ]

t st tantra:

there was not much pollen visible on the vulc but it appears to have worked so my guess is its very viable[not the word i wanted but].

Virile?

hey torsten ill send you some of the aurea pollen with the duboisia info assuming of course the possums dont feel the need to attack my brugmansia again (when will they learn, brugmansia dont make good food)

thanks!! Most of our brug pods get eaten by rats and they don't seem to die from it...

I have lots of sanguinea flowers as well if that will help .

Thats the red one right?

youd be needing some red sanguinea pollen

but not from T

from another seed grown individual

or some yellow sang pollen

Hi infinite_monkey

are you still looking for brug pollen?

i found this thing growing down the road today, it is producing pollen ATM.

brug.jpg

brug_pollen.jpg

pm me if you want some

hmm maybe you should be asking for pollen instead

pollinate the neighbours sanguinea then collect the pods later

Im sure you could find trades for seed or the seedrings would appreciate this species as it isnt that common as seed and its good for cooler areas

Its not my plant rev.

but i'm happy to give it a whirl if your willing to walk me through it and tell me what to do.

incidently - i should walk the dog more often, amongst other things there is an american dogwood down the road that i've been keeping an eye on, and i spotted another solanum, god i love spring,

can ya tell me what this thing is

2004_0916Image0020.jpg

your not talking about these things are you?

2004_0916Image0021.jpg

i just managed to rescue them from the bin

but, i do take prisoners, so there are a few cuttings just started too.

I dont have any sanguineas here so i cant offer nd depth help

basically you take cotton cue tips you use to clean ears etc etc

cut in half so u have 2

then put these in zip locks

These are good for all your pollen (cactus, brugs, datura etc etc)

just roll the tip arond till its nicely covered in pollen - you can see it all spilling over the flower in the pic

then keep refrigeratd but the fresher he better

Its great when 2 species flower a few months or even days apart

Itll keep some time and trades easily

To use apply pollen coated tip to the central female part - pistil isnt it?

Old pollen its best o prepollinate by kaing a small hole in the developing flower and pollinating while immature

it gives extra time for sluggish old pollen to germinate and move to the ovules

Thats it

and dont forget to record the cross on a tag on the flower or colours or number coded to the flower

those things in the bin arent seedpods but flower buds of sanguinea.

I believe they are self infertile

hence the need to trade for pollen

They do take from cuttings however this means all the sang down your way are the same

there are many colour gradations bewteen Orange, yellow and red and youll ony get this by growing seedlings

[ 17. September 2004, 19:02: Message edited by: reville ]

I think what you have there Jumped Angel is Tecomaria capensis or Cape Honeysuckle from the Bignoniaceae (Jacaranda) family. I've found a picture of it in a book on Australian weeds, so it must like it here. Don't know if there would be anything interesting in it. . .

Thanks spaced and rev

one final question rev, how easily will a brug transplant?, the people at that place are renting and have no idea about gardening etc. i am afraid this brug will go down the same road as the two local trumpet lillies did and just disappear one day, its right next door to a primary school and some idiot is sure to label it a poisonous plant.

sanguineas will transplant quite well,though i'd do it now before it gets hot.

however if you check the base of the plant you may find long branches which have rooted or even root suckers and these can be removed and repotted.

t s t .

Unlike the other Brugs the sanguinea cuttings seem to strike better in cooler weather while the stress is less

water well days before you uproot her, so to make sure the tissue is full of water, never transplant a thirsty plant...remember when transplanting it helps to prune back the above ground parts of the plant proportianaly to the damage you will cause to the roots.

brugs love it to be pruned back anyway!

i once saw a sanguinea in sa which was loveingly pruned into a giant heart shape!

[ 24. September 2004, 09:06: Message edited by: planthelper ]