The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bloodbob

Does blue bruises always mean goodies.

First off yes I know it doesn't mean NO badies.

I came across some local mushies that were rather squished :/ I turned it over and the top half of the stalk was rather purple looking. So far around the local area I haven't seen anything that bruises blue before. Now I'm wonder if this mushroom had active compounds.

I speak with no experience whatsoever, just vague recollections of what I've read other people posting:

I believe that for most intents, and purposes, blue means 'goodies'. But I think there are a handful of other mushrooms, worldwide, that also stain blue, but due to another active chemical.

If you are asking: are they safe to eat because they stained blue? The answer is no.

Benzito:

If you are asking: are they safe to eat because they stained blue? The answer is no.

No I was just hoping there might be some nice things come up with the rain due this weekend other then deadly viarities of amanitas

Obviously, you're asking all the right questions, and trying to learn. :)

And as I said earlier, I don't even really know what I'm talking about when it comes to shrooms.

But basically, if you aren't a qualified Mycologist, or someone you know, then you should not eat mushrooms you find in the wild.

There are many fungus that can kill you or make you very sick, and eating a mushroom because it is similar to the descriptions you've heard, is a very foolish thing to do.

I don't mean to be a spoilt-sport, but if you don't KNOW, 100%, just by looking at the mushroom what it is, then you shouldn't eat it.

Just giving some sensible advice. take it as you please. :)

blue bruising is always a good sign (as you know), but it's only one element to look for when IDing a shroom. some mushrooms bruise purple, some green (like the active gyms), some don't bruise at all.

blue-ing on a mushroom growing out of dung is an almost definate sign - but you should definately check with someone who know's better before eating any kind of shroom.

where in australia are you from? i can try and give you an idea of where and what to look for

Hi,we discussed this a few days ago in another thread too. The Bluing is a very good indicator for psychoactivity. Nevertheless there are some other non-psilocybian mushrooms which stain blue too.Boletus for example.If your mushroom has darker spores (not brown!) and is bluing, it is probably psychoactive. But keep in mind that some poisonous Galerinas tend to develop some black blotches, which can easily be confused with a decent bluing.However, the Spore color of the Galerinas is more rusty brown. You should be 100 % sure about the colorations and you should make sporeprints too when in doubt! Poisonous Mushrooms are often direct neighbours to psilocybes. Galerina SP. for example, is a very good indicator for psilocybes. The Guide from Paul Stamets is a very worthy book in such cases.

Evil genius is right - although i wouldnt suggest any one go out and eat that blue-staining local bolete since its activity/edibility isnt documented anywhere and i think i read that i was suspected of being mildly poisonous.

Edible Lactaria stain a blue/green colour and are not psychoactive.

i meant it not i - although my girlfriend probably suspects that I am mildly poisonous

According to your colour, i would suspect that you are safe to eat though, bluemeanie :)

purple or blue?

i wouldn't be eating any mushrooms that are or stain purple, you really need to see a 110% def. psychoactive mushroom to get an idea of what blue the blue is.

galerina's tend to stain purple and a lot of them are baaaad.

also look at stems if they look like subs but have little red bits near the bottom of the stem they are not, also if the stem is slightly yellow you dont want them either.

i dont know about other strains as we only really get subs down here but they have pure white stems (unless they're a bit blue)

just be careful, you dont want to end up drowning in your own excrement over the next two weeks - a very painful way to go, we hear

if at all possible in any way go with someone who knows the first few times, hey where's your intraweb anyways?

Just like to thank everyone for all the good info. I did try to look to see if I could find them again but alas I could not regardless they were probably well on their way to decomposing as they were quite mushed when I saw them the first time.

They definatly didn't look like most of the bolete specises. I didn't really take a good look but my from my short look I'd say they were more purple then blue so it might have been galerina or its possible it might have been Psilocybe cyanescens or something completely different whatever it was it had brown gills.

[ 11. July 2005, 15:51: Message edited by: bloodbob ]

bluemeanie:

i wouldnt suggest any one go out and eat that blue-staining local bolete since its activity/edibility isnt documented anywhere and i think i read that i was suspected of being mildly poisonous.

I know someone who has eaten them - he hangs out here but not often.

He reported paranoia and some visual distortions - Something about a giant cat that was coming to eat him when he went out to have a piss at night? It didn't sound like much fun, anyway.

Evil genius - If your shroom had gills it's not a Bolete - they have pores.

whats the aftermath of eating say, five galerina's?

onz:

whats the aftermath of eating say, five galerina's?

Death. Actually I lie its not death its permant liver actually I lie again possible permant liver damage and kidney damage eat 15-20 and you'll probably die.

[ 11. July 2005, 17:00: Message edited by: bloodbob ]

lol, cheers. Well whilste drying, sigh, feasting "lavae" or someshit was waiting for me when i woke up the second morning... Discusting. So i guess we'll nvr know whether I was going up or down :confused: , HOWEVER! The id of the shrooms was very confident, enough to risk life. ahhhh, :rolleyes: stay in school kids..

and study mycology

I stain red unfortunately - in the past i did try to consume enough mushrooms to permanent change this fact, but alas it wasnt to be...

'He reported paranoia and some visual distortions - Something about a giant cat that was coming to eat him when he went out to have a piss at night? It didn't sound like much fun, anyway.'

Wow - interesting! Maybe someone check for alkaloid content. Teh giant cat is an everyday experience - my cat is like horse from foot-rot flats...

I was told a story by a girl whose boyfriend is a nurse about a mushroom poisoning in victoria occurs where newly arrived chinese people went and picked what they thought was their native chinese mushroom - they pick out local variety that looks similar and they get kidney failure and one gotliver failuer (you die from the later without a transplant which are notoriously hard to get)

They dont even know which mushroom it was that poisoned these guys, but the local galerina is a possibility.

Hi,

it is also possible that they could have confused their native mushrooms with some Amanitas. It is common that Russian Immigrants for example pick up Amanitas because they have some less poisonous ones of this sp. in their own country. I heard that they boil them properly before consuming and because of that they might loose part of their toxins. Nevertheless, the Problem begins when they might encounter some Amanitas which contain Amatoxin. You can probably cook the hell out of them and they will still be quite toxic.