The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Hajuu

Help a newb identify some shrooms

Hey y'all...

Just wondering if I could get some help identifying these shroom pictures?

Sorry about the dodgy quality pics... Thats just how I found them on the web... heh heh

"Mushroom 1:"

Image 1:

00001.jpg

A dodgy image of "mushroom 1" displaying the top

Image 2:

00002.jpg

An image showing the underside of the shroom. I would guess that whoever took the photo squashed the gills somewhat.

"Mushroom 2:"

Image 1:

00003.jpg

An image of "mushroom 2" showing the topside and the stem.

"Mushroom 3:"

Image 1:

00005.jpg

Can see the head and the stem...

"Mushroom 4:"

Image 1:

00007.jpg

Good view of the top of "mushroom 4"

Image 2:

00008.jpg

Good view of the stem and gills.

"Mushroom 5:"

Image 1:

00009.jpg

Good view of the stem and gills of "mushroom 5"

Image 2:

00010.jpg

Good view of the cap.

Yeah.. found these photos around (heh heh) and was wondering if anyone could help identify one or all of the kinds?

Cheers,

Hajuu.

Mushroom one looks cube like, but lacks any visable bruising, and it is too battered for me to tell, but i am assuming it is not a cube.

Shroom 5 looks like a coprinus of some description.

I am not an expert, and there will be experts who can give you better ID's.

Will you enjoy these mushrooms? common sense states: NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

"Mushroom 2" looks like a RUSSULA to me.Maybe RUSSULA Emetica. Maybe it would be a good idea to make some images from the underside too.

MUSHROOM 4 could be a LACTARIUS, if there was some milky slime coming of the wounds of the shroom.

MUSHROOM 5 looks very fragile. I would tend to the genus PSATHYRELLA in this case.

In my opinion, MUSHROOM 1 is definately not a cube. It´s possible that i´m wrong, but if you are in doubt,you should rather throw it out! Specially in cases where no signs of bluing are present. Like it is in your case.

But Maybe i´m wrong. Internet-ID for mushrooms is kind of problematic.

[ 02. July 2005, 16:26: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]

[ 02. July 2005, 17:08: Message edited by: Hajuu ]

It is more likely that you will get ill or sick from them. I would strongly disadvice from consumtion.Really.But probably you wouldn´t die, mabye:-)

Mushroom 3 looks bad but without knowing the colour of the spores i´m really not sure enough to make an ID.

[ 02. July 2005, 16:36: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]

[ 02. July 2005, 17:07: Message edited by: Hajuu ]

Why would someone eat a Psathyrella?Please help me out. Besides it´s not sure if it is actually a mushroom from this genus.

[ 02. July 2005, 17:07: Message edited by: Hajuu ]

You could try some nice edible Ones:-) I´m sorry but that sounds a little bit like Russian roulette to me.

If you are really interested in the topic, there is no way to avoid byuing a good ID Guide.

[ 02. July 2005, 17:06: Message edited by: Hajuu ]

Evil Genius:

Why would someone eat a Psathyrella?

Well Psathyrella asperospera used to be in the genus Psilocybe .

I don't think that's what that mushroom is though.

Is it true that cubes etc grow fairly commonly around pine plantations? or would I be hard pressed to find some in a good 20 acre lot?

Very unlikely for a couple of reasons:

1. cubes eat poo, not wood

2. cubes are a warm temperature tropical species

You find them in summer and autumn on cow manure after rain in the subtropics and tropics.

You are much more likely to find Psilocybe subaeruginosa in the areas that you might explore, especially at this time of year.

Most interesting mushrooms do not occur wild in gardens. You should make yourself familiar with the basics. A Lot of Mushrooms are very Easy to spot after looking at some Pics.

The Chances that you find exactly the mushrooms you are looking for are minimal.Not to say zero. I would strongly disadvice blind tryouts. You only life once.

creach:

creach:

Why would someone eat a Psathyrella?

Well Psathyrella asperospera used to be in the genus Psilocybe .

I don't think that's what that mushroom is though.

Thanks for the Info! I never heard about this. If someone has a Pic, please feel free to post.

Im not too concerned what it is.. so long as it gets me high heh... I want to have an awsome trip like I did my one and only time on mushies.

The Problem is, that most of the mushrooms you will find won´t get you high.

Besides you should make yourself familiar with the Galerina Genus! These are some of the most poisonous psilocybe-lookalikes you may encounter. Don´t be that foolish, just because of the unlikely possibility to get on a short trip. If you eat all mushrooms you´ll encounter,it is possible that you will be located a few foot below the mushrooms some time in the near future.

[ 02. July 2005, 18:01: Message edited by: Evil Genius ]

yeah..

um...

By the way.. one last thing.. how important is it to go shroom hunting at like.. first light of the morning? someone told me they die in the sun really quickly.. so its important to get them at first light.. is this true or a myth?

I do not believe that they die within a few hours but as slugs are very mycophil too, it is definately a good idea to be quick. Slugs can rapidly destroy a lot of mushrooms in a remarkable short range of time.

ah ok.. Will go down at like 11am instead of 5am then.. much better for a saterday morning hehe.

Thanks for all your help.. I will return tommorow night with more mushrooms or ID no doubt.

Hajuu:

Im not too concerned what it is.. so long as it gets me high heh... I want to have an awsome trip like I did my one and only time on mushies.

Seriously man, you will only find one species in the southwest that will have a good effect and you are unlikely to stumble across it randomly. Myotoxins can shut down your liver and kidneys slowly leaving you to die in pain over a couple of weeks. It's not fun.

Hey Hajuu, if you want to find what your looking for just search the internet till you find something stating that you can find them in a area you can get to. Then go to that area and search till you find it, dont go ripping everything out of the ground though.

Try googling what your looking for together with the area