The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
NastySpill

Melb Season

hooray! I found some just today by chance in someones front yard :) . Ill post pics soon just to confirm it, but they have the distinctive blue streaks on the stems. They were growing under a bush on woodchips.

You guys will want to be careful with mushrooms you find near the road side and similar places of high pollution.

Mushrooms are a product of their environment and absorb a lot of the toxins and posions around them so in general city roadside mushrooms should be avoided!

On another note, most gardeners arent very concerned about keeping their woodchip beds orgainc or chemical free and can use all sorts of pestacides, fungacides and other nasty stuff in/on them.

[ 18. June 2005, 08:56: Message edited by: AndyAmine. ]

probably explains an experience i had once that only involved liliputian hallucinations and people looking yellowish and just generally feeling lost and a bit sick - threw up all over the dunny floor and laid in it for a while after i finally got home - later on fairly intense loss of motor skills (like id be walking then all of a sudden i only have one leg so my knee on the leg i cant feel goes spastic and every couple of steps i usually collapsed, took me and a mate about 2hrs to make a 15min walk back from the pub

AndyAmine.:

You guys will want to be careful with mushrooms you find near the road side and similar places of high pollution.

Mushrooms are a product of their environment and absorb a lot of the toxins and posions around them so  in general city roadside mushrooms should be avoided!

On another note, most gardeners arent very concerned about keeping their woodchip beds orgainc or chemical free and can use all sorts of pestacides, fungacides and other nasty stuff in/on them.

while this hold true in general there are things to be considered

fisrtly i think the sequestration was done with mycorrhizal species following chernobyl

and also with agaricus in cultivation

I think i read that a muscaria bioaccumulates Vanadium too - and vanadium salts can be somewhat neurotoxic

we dont know wbaout other species

except i know King stropharia actively detoxifies pollutants and can irreversibly bind radioactive isotopes into the soil so they can be rextracted with any efficeinecy even in teh lab, and oysters can eat oil contaminated soil and make shrooms that are safe enough to eat

also you dont need many melb subs to be where u want to be :) a few wont hurt much

[ 18. June 2005, 11:03: Message edited by: Rev ]

pesticides cost money

IME most people who use woodchips, especially the type subs need are a bit greener anyway

but yeah its a point

Thanks for the concern guys! but by the state of this garnden, no one has touched it with anything for a long time haha, It is very unkept which makes it a good breeding ground for the mushrooms :)

heres a pick, its a bit dark but you get the idea:

bluemeaniessml.JPG

last year i found some at the local library and they were definitely magies and i had the usual feelings although i felt a 'little' poisoned as well! i reckon it was from all the cars that drive past the patch all the time