The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
watertrade

HEPA supplies in australia

Hi

I'm new to the corroboree but have a little knowledge from research at the shroomery - anyway, after struggling with a very clumsy glove box I would like to consider a laminar flow hood - I was wondering if you could offer any suggestions on sources of HEPA filters in Australia - from what I can see this should be the only bit of equipment I would need to buy - the rest I could make and install myself.

Thanks

Jim

wow.!. , the yellow pages- who would have thought....

I found some disposable filters 600 x 600 x 150mm

roughly $500 with throw away housing -

i think I'll make another glove box....

anyone have a second hand flow hood???

cheers

Jim

Have heard that vacum cleaner bags make good filter papers

Guest d0tb0y

I dunno if it is just me but i live in a pretty clean area, ive done innoculation of pf cakes and stuff, without a flowhood or anything, i just lift the top foil cap a little, innoculate and shut again and into my incubator... have made 15 cakes, some will be done tomorrow and none have contaminated.

Really i think it is about a race to see which microbes left dominate.. You're always gonna have bugs in there really... i say just keep everything clean, if you get contams try just doing simple pf jars by the book, and note if you get the same contams... could be something around you that is causing that.. I know a few people who just innoculate open-air. I even innoculate liquid cultures in open air through pillow stuffing.

Cant wait to make a collection of jars with metal lids so i can get rid of this foil cap nonsese. I have two big pickle jars, and they are turning into lovely 0.8 KG! cakes.. yum :D

i guess it all depends on how sterile you want it to be

i mean for the jars themselves polyfill (pillow stuffing) is just sued so im sure you could rig up a box with fly mesh on eitehr side and put an inch or 2 thick of that stuff compacted (its DIRT cheap)

or something liek that would be sufficient

heres some idea items for filters but not sure how effective they might might

a few layers of cloth moistened with 10% bleach solution

those dustmask thingies u use when building etc

Guest electro

oops double post

[ 10. February 2005, 07:30: Message edited by: electro ]

Guest electro

i just use a rubbermaid box on its side [hole where lid goes facing me] with no lid attached(to enable me the greatest access to the stuff inside) thesedays. i was going to add hepa blower to it, but it just isnt needed (note i spent 2 years with nothing but contams using a real glovebox. my problem was not properly flaming stuff and being very slow due to polyethelene gloves and shitty access to what i was doing - what i did then in 10 secs i do now in 1 or 2)

speed of work and utensil flaming is all that is needed when combined with a little glen 20 sprayed into the box and up in the air above you.

mind you i only work with with agar to grain to semi bulk to bulk thesedays .. bugger syringes & that liquid culture rubbish - if u want to isolate good from bad use a cardboard plate...

if u want a syringe, make it from an agar plate - SO much easier... everything can be done with plates ! :)

so long as u flame the hell out of the utensils

Blackwoods had all sorts of HEPA filters listed in their catalogue last time I checked...