The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
The Dude

Pan (cope) cyans 'blue meanies' in south oz

Heya! After the great time my gnome friend had in the winter season with the subs, he can't wait to find some cyans this summer/autumn. ...Well regarding that, when does the season start really? Any South Australian Gnomes have success with finding Pan Cyans?

I know of a few cowfields on the way down to second valley, My gnome friend hopes no farmers get upset but I've never seen any. Besides with his small stature he'll easily slip by unnoticed methinks.

Anyone know of any good locations. Don't need to be too specific but you can give exact details in a PM if you really want j/k don't want to steal any1's patches, hopefully this season will be plentiful anyhow.

How would SAussies compare the Sub season to the Cyan season in terms of amount of flushes etc?

well cheers for any help.

[ 10. January 2005, 01:00: Message edited by: El Duderino ]

Flushes for dunglovers would not be impressive at all compared to the possible flushes of a mulch/wood based substrate...mostly cos of the cow shit phenomena... ie they will usually only grow on the turhds...sometimes from really rich soil though....but Ive heard of thousands of subs in spaces of a couple metres squared so...yeah....

Very true - ive read that pans fruit in SA but ive never seen proof or actually spoken/met someone who has personally found them there.

Ive counted 4000 subs fruiting in a small area (2.5 metres squared or so) - so unless youve got a lot of shit it isnt going to compare

pans are great mushrooms though.

Im soo damn keen to find those blue meanies or subbies this season, I went shroomin like 50 times last season from Kuitpo to Delamere and second valley with no luck!!! I didnt start lookn till prolly september, is that too late?

Tried in the pines, the native and the slushiest cow paddocks!! where are they?

For Subs I'd say after june-ish is the best time (from memory) You could probably find some in May even. I think September is much too late. For some reason it seems (from one seasons experience) that earlier on they flush in eucalypt mulch more and then later on in pine - You can usually find them in woodchips in carparks and the like - The reason for the abundance of subs in melbourne is partly due to the common use of woodchips.

As for Cyans I think the last recorded find was 1979-ish!!! :D haha. I'll still be on the lookout though, just gotta find some good cow fields.

Unlike us, subs like cold, shitty weather(fruiting). After unusually wet and mild Summer we're experiencing here in Melbourne, I'm expecting to find absolute shitloads this year. I'll start looking in May, however. Even late July could sometimes be too late. In my opinion if you start looking in September you're missing the boat and wasting your time. It's only my experience though...

yeah the rain is interesting, but we need this kinda downpour in April may to really make an impact. All the storms are good to laden the ground with extra wood nutrients i guess as well.

I remember the 2001 season was the best because it rained for five days without letting up, then was sunny but cold for another day, then a huge cold snap at the end of march and they went mad.

Is that true that the last recorded find of a cyans was 1979? Ive got mates who reckon they find em all the time.Do u find subs around the time the fly's are fruiting, cos there were piles of those when i started looking. Does anyone know af any golden treasures being found at kuitpo lately? Years ago they were in abundance but i dont know anyone whos found them there for years.

I have no idea about Cyans. That is some reasuring news that your friends have found them.

I've never found Subs at Kuitpo myself. Best luck I've had was at Second Valley and Mount Crawford (a friend of mine found the biggest patch i have ever seen over there).

Subs were first found (near/at) Cleland conservation park if I'm not mistaken, so Mt. Lofty area might be worth checking out.

just thought I'd revive this thread to see if any SA-ians have had any luck? it's rained a bit recently but probably not enough. Luckily though the weather is still quite warm and getting more humid it seems.