The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Dunkel

Amanita muscaria prints

I have two to trade :D

Interested in the following:

P. cubensis "tasmanian"

Luminescent fungi (preverably luminescent mycelium)

- Edible fungi:

- Stropharia Rugoso-annulata

- Agaricus species (field mushrooms) to eat and compost my compost heap

- Truffles

- Oysters, shiitake, etc...

I'll trade other things for these as well.

arnt muscarias almost impossible to cultivate?

I managed to start a crop by injection the spore solution (from a donated cap) around some birch trees.

I injected near their fine roots and left some of the spent cap lying gill down on the soil.

A year later some came up. And this autumn the crop was bigger and had expanded to more parts of the garden.

Cultivation on agar or by some other methods I think would be futile (unless someone has figured out the problem).

These spore prints are from this crop. These are the spare prints from this autumn that I now have no need for.

why wont amanitas grow in cultures?

do they require a mycorrhizal association?

even in this case all they obtain from the plant is carbon which could surely be catered for in the medium. perhaps not?

i was also thinking about pine needles.

these secrete a toxin that stops other plants from growing.

do they also hinder bacterial growth?

logically i wouldnt think so but if it was possible this could help with preventing contamination.

i'm interested in why you would want to grow Amanita M.?

i mean, in season any pine forest in Vic has literally 1000's ov saucer sized amanitas--surely it would be easier to collect a years supply than try & grow them?

also, has anyone ever developed that much ov a liking for them that there's a need to grow them?

i wouldnt want to grow them.

just wondering why they are hard to grow.

i didn't mean to sound judgemental, i am genuinly interested to know; after my gnomes experiences w/A.Musc.

--& i agree Shin, it is interesting as to why they're hard to grow, i'd guess your 'pine needle toxins' idea has alot to do w/it

The Pine theory is interesting except tha they also occur widely on Oak, nothofagus Birch and Eucalyptus (overseas in plantations)

The only reason youd want to cultivate it in vitro is to have your name published next to your grinning mugshot in some biology journal

...basically because no-one else could do it

Ed im keen on a print - i was just thinking today that theres some pines near here that could do with something to add to the Suillus

I picked up a pack of dried porcini (boletus edulis, B aureus etc) and plant to innoculate some oaks and ines with a water extract of the blended fruitbodies ( crude spore slurry)

I can supply you with a luminescent species that grows on wood , Panellus stipticus.

please e-mail/PM me if youre keen

nabraxas! have you ever heard someone say "i did it for the challenge"?

most of the plants i grow or attempt to grow are for no other reason but "the challenge"

i.e for the past 3 years i have attempted to stimulate my pachanois to flower...i failed.

i have attempted to grow the legendary blue poppy... i failed.

i have attempted to germinate "calea" from seed

...i failed

i have attempted to grow p.viridis from seed...i failed.

but i will try them over and over again until i do.

and somewhere down the line i will attempt to grow a.muscaria,as i live in perth and we are not lucky enough to have hundreds of them growing in pine forests.

(my 2cents)

yeah the pine toxins were only an afterthought. would still be interesting to see what these toxins do and dont kill. obviously they dont harm some mushrooms but whether or not they kill bateria would be an interesting experiment.

a handy ally if they do. (i have a feeling they dont but it shouldnt be too hard to test)

back to amanita then it must be something to do with mycorrhizal associations.

that basically means that the fungi has a symbiotic relationship with the plant. the plant benefits as its root network is expanded while the fungi gains a source of carbon from the plant.

i think 90% of plants have a mycorrhizal relationships.

(there are also two different types of mycorrhizal associations, in one the hyphae penetrate the roots cells in the other they dont)

perhaps shredded plant matter in the medium might work?

2 years ago i innoculated several birch trees at Murdoch university in exactly the same way ed did

if anyone wants to let me know how theyre going keep and eye out in autumn on the roots of the birch trees in the courtyard below the loneragan science building (to the left and look down)

Theres also the big oaks in Donnybrook town centre and some pines near the site where the other interesting fungi are found

and dont give up on calea - it can be done

i havent succeeded withe the other 2 either

given recent successes with Chanterelles, truffles and Boletus edulis there are some things to be considered

1)activated charcoal in the media

2)the presence of a third organism (chanterelles needed rhodotorula)

4)carbon and nitrogen sources (id go for the sugar in the root tips of the host and analyse the host soil for ratios for nitrogen forms)

5) maybe a cell free extract of the root hairs to trigger germination

[ 09. November 2003, 18:41: Message edited by: reville ]

ill keep an eye around those birch trees rev....fingers crossed.

mr b- no worries, i was just wondering, in case there was some use /aspect ov these shrooms i've missed.

if you love a challenge go for it.

+ i've done some interesting collecting in state forrests around Donnybrook as well.

[ 10. November 2003, 03:07: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

nabraxas ! sorry man i sounded a bit harsh their.

i didnt mean to.

yeah id love to have fly's poppin up in me own backyard... man i reckon it would be pretty damn satisfying to get amanitas fruiting under a tree you had innoculated as a seedling and planted yourself.. waited all them years for maturity... well ok.. for me anyway.. :rolleyes:

by the way i was wondering does A.muscaria grow with Auracaria species...

also anyone know how mature a pine/amanita symbiosis must be to produce fruitbodies? last year i saw one lone meaty fly growing under a landscaped Fir (i think) that mustnt have been over 2 metres tall...

Rev, I PM-ed you, did the glitch cuase it to not get there or was it received?

Laters,

Hi ed - i thought i replied? ill go back and check

Nabraxas - about Donnybrook please let me know if you see any amongst the pines as some powdered gills might just have found there way out of my leaky pockets and into the root zone

Another interesting thing was this dream i had where some crazy person took a box full of colonised wood/sawdust of the P sub 'wavy cap' isolate down donnybrook way and innoculated several sites in donnybrook town and in the pines

crazy dream huh

Ed - didnt get any new PM's

You will be at EB3 right? perfect place for me to give you that Bioluminescent Panellus