The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Cadaver

Morinda citrifolia seeds available for a short time

Hi guys

we've got Morinda citrifolia (Cheesefruit) seeds available for about a month on our webstore. These seeds are fresh (May04) collected and are only available while they are still viable. Would love to see them snapped up and planted, they r such an all purpose tree (dye, medicine, food, timber).

cheers

darcy

Just curious

Do you have any references to the "Medicinal" qualities of this plant from any one other than the ONE guy from Tahiti? that inundates the literature and self-perpetuates the myth about this citrus fruit?

I have yet to see any evidence at all.

'Australian Medicinal Plants' by Lassak and McCarthy, page 88-89.

'New Enclyclopaedia of herbs and their uses' by Bown, pg. 281-282.

'Enzyklopaedie der psychoaktiven Pflanzen', Christian Raetsch, pg. 453

Never heard of this guy from Tahiti. Don't know what you mean about 'Citrus fruits' either, maybe your talking about the latin name which alludes to its citrus-like leaves, foliage being from folia.

tiapan is probably referring to Dr Ralph Heinicke who discovered an alkaloid he named proxeronine. He crries on about how xeronine is a vitally important chemical in the human body and how we cannot exist without it (in fact, before his rant I had never heard of xeronine). The whole western noni revolution is based on this cure-all fountain of youth blah blah blah.

This however should not detract from the fact that all parts of the plant have been used in traditional medicine for hundred of years or more. As a member of the Rubiaceae it contains quite a few alkaloids in the green bits. It is also much loved by the asian community for the fruit (which I personally find possibly the most repulsive thing any human could put in their mouth).

A much used plant with many beneficial effects. The research lit on it isn't overwhelmingly complex, but there is certainly more than you suggest. Much of it from long before the latest wanker found his cash cow.

Damn I shoulda put that on the order!

I baught some imported Noni juice a while back and found it very beneficial as an all-over tonic...hmmm...but can you grow edible shrooms off the wood