The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Tryptameanie

Brush Box

Has anyone else noticed the huge variety of mushrooms that are mycoryzal(sp?) on the Brush Box, Tristania conferta? There's a blue staining Austroboletus, at least two species of Coprinus and of round puffballs(scleroderma maybe?), a species of pisolithus( a rather obscene elongated puffball), and at least two LBMs that are all found commonly under street trees in Sydney. Anyone noticed any others? Do any active species occur under this tree?

BTW, the Box is the Eucalypt-like like tree with a strange lump at the base( a mass of undifferentiated cells called a lignotuber), there are lots in Chippendale and at Sydney Uni.

I think it was different actually. More brown and less uniform in colour. Most caps 5-10cm.

(Your picks are a bolete yeah?)

[ 08. May 2003, 18:50: Message edited by: Tryptameanie ]

yeah they are. Pictures arent the best

Ruddy brown top, yellow flesh bleeding to orange.

Immediate blue taining when split or crushed. Would have weighed the best part of a kilo.

I know very little about the fungal flora of the north coast - i dont think many people do - most work has been done in the SE and SW of Australia.

Borrowed a book from the library called'A Field Guide To Fungi of South-Eastern Australia'

By Ross Macdonald and John Westerman,pretty basic nothing on Ps.species,but very interesting.

Oh, yeah the ISBN Number is 017 005290 7!

reville:

most work has been done in the SE and SW of Australia.

How'd you put it once? It's not like we lack mushrooms here, we've just been a little short of mycologists :)