The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Machine Elf

Reville (and bullshite)

Hey Rev,

Concerning that humanitarian aid package you sent to me a month or so ago - thanks! Want to send some compensation but not sure where...message me if you could.

As an aside - does anybody know the theory behind using cow shite as a substrate? I like to debate these completely theoretical concepts late at night, and I'd be interested in hearing of the possible problems/advantages. Cheers.

Belfy

Its grows bigger cubies as well and they are alwazys top in alkaloid content.

Its cheap, doesnt contaminate that readily, and its great composted or not.

Thinking of trying PAn Cyan tek.(has anyone had indoor success with australian pan cy strains?)

Whats the best source of cow dung/straw for someone in in Melb?...maybe Bluemeanie could help with this?

thanx:)

BM wrote:

> Its grows bigger cubies as well and they are

> alwazys top in alkaloid content.

> Its cheap, doesnt contaminate that readily, and

> its great composted or not.

Hmmm, somebody's wondering why they went and bought BRF when they could have scraped 2 kilos of shit off their Toyo's mudguard.....

;O)

Would you suggest (in theory of course) that manure be used as casing, or is it possible to whack the spores straight in there? How much (if any) sterilisation needs to be done.

Thanks BM and all. Anybody know if Rev is around?

Belfy

B careful who you summon belfy

yes cowshit is the wonder material we discover after trying the rest - despite the big hint that cubies grow in them naturally

Disadvantages

smelly - not not fresh - well i like the smell - but after its been PC'd its rank

Prone to being too wet - so cut at least 50/50 with shredded straw or chaff (never hay)

Full of weeds - both seed and fungal

Can be a little poor if other shroom have been at it first or its composted

advantages

cheap etc as said before

yes it certainly does inhibit many moulds even as a fraction of the total mix

never seen any evidence that shows a difference between straw and dung in potency, please send evidence in triplicate wrapped in brown paper bag to:

PO box 1417

byron bay

NSW 2481

To bypass problems try using the commercially packaged cow poo as the cowpoo fraction

no weeds, no other fungi

enrich jars with grain

enrich bulk with straw

always sterilise jars

always pasteurise bulk

no spores on dung will not work - reliably

which is why every cowpat on earth is not home to cubies - the conditions needed for wild growth only exist in isolated seasonal circumstances and its why cubies produce millions of spores - same as other shrooms

mushroom cultivation as we talk about is dependent on being able to give the fungus exclusive occupation of a sterile media to increase its biomass so we can spawn it onto a pasteurised substrate where it has a headstart.

being able to do this reliably changed mushroom supply from wild picking to a reliable and very profitable agribusiness - and a powerful tool in recycling

We practice the same ideas when doing plant micropropagation or growing ferns and orchids

[ 01. April 2003, 03:12: Message edited by: reville ]

Belfegor:

BM wrote:

Would you suggest (in theory of course) that manure be used as casing, .

Belfy

Anything rich in nutrients is usually not used for casing. The casing is there to hold water for the fruitbodies development not for nutrient. Plus a nutrient rich casing poses contamination problems..

Id only ever suggest that you case with coco coir and verm 0 best stuff around. Casing with manure is risky as it is moer prone to contamination than other casings.

My jedi master told me that straw has a poor tryptophan content.

You can get good composted and high nutrient manure at your local coles/safeway but it stinks and the nice checkout chicks will think you have shat yourself...

Do you think its possible that the shrooms recapture the indoles in cowshit to build other indolic substances?

If they are able to use the tryptamines from Desmanthus illinoensis rootbark in the substrate as has been reported, it would seem quite likely.

Anyone recommend a good book or website for information on the chemistry of entheogens. A lot of you guys seem to know your shit (so to speak), would be cool to understand more about the processes.

Belfy

There was some work done by jochen gartz in the 90's on all aspects of P cubensis biochem that im keen to find

apart from that read the many many archived threads and flame wars on the shroomery about experiments to 'increase potency' in cubes- not that they are hard to grow or weak as is but i think theres just a fascination with increasing potency whether it be cannabis or shrooms, whether its needed or not

but it certainly is interesting from the perspective of interactions in the environment anyway