The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Trip Dr

Fly Argaric

Hi there,

does anyone know where i might be able to find info on cultivation of this species. I have searched and searched but to no avail. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Trip Dr

Hard to cultivate on agar (pretty much impossible)

Spray some spore solution from a spore print near the roots (under the soil) of birch and pine trees.

In a year you should see a handful come up around the tree.

Good luck

E D

there's people at entheogen.com who have some good info on cultivation. find the recent thread on the fly and follow up on it. or you can do as ed suggested for an easier method.

Thanks for the info ppl! I'll have to try spraying some spores then! If anyone has first hand experience growing these please post! Any tips/info would be great.

Trip Dr

Guest reville

i know a gnome who innoculated some Birch and Pine at Murdoch university a year ago with a spore syringe.

I wonder....

Hey Reville,

do you know how this gnome did it exactly? Outside in natural environment? Or inside?

Trip Dr

The dwarf birch, Betula nana, is a symbiote of fly agaric in the far North. As some varieties are only one foot tall it would seem ideal for attempts at indoor hygienic cultivation.

The greatest advantages of this would be the ability to keep away flies and other pests and reduce the vanadium content of the substrate. A vanadium chelate, amavadin, seems the most likely candidate for the toxic effects that many folk ascribe to muscimol.

Guest Silly Billy

hey just on the topic has any one tryed these mushrooms>? i know where manny of them grow but have never had the ballls to eat any ( they r in oberon state forset sydney ) manny manny of them . so . yeh i was just wondering dosages and effects and preperation n stuff , thank u

Originally posted by Silly Billy:

hey  just on the topic has any one tryed these mushrooms>?  

I smoked some fly argaric dried.

I didnt really like the high much and my kidneys hert for a couple of days after woods.

My gnome and his friend, who is also made of cement, ate some. I don't really think you could have a bad trip on it. You just cease thinking and movement is extremely difficult, but quite relaxing all the same. My gnome says go nibble a couple. 10g dried should get you high-flying.

a tea always has the best results for me. ate a fresh cap once and it made me heave but the effects were still good. i get no nausea with a tea made from three or four dried caps. i put the effect something like an opiate ekky cross, not that i've ever partaken of such things.

what is the reasoning behind the vinegar theo?

Thanks all for your help, but i've still come across no good detailed info on cultivation. What would one do if they happened to have some spores of this species, and wished to grow them(purely for asthetic value!)?

Is it worth trying to get some going in agar? I have access to many different agars.

peace

Trip Dr

cultivation is said to be difficult, but according to someone at entheogen.com it is possible. alternatively you could apply your spores to birch, oak, or pine(various,aged) mulch beneath the trees.

Originally posted by theobromos:

Always dry it with a little heat and a drop of vinegar.  Never smoke it.

I'll add to the calls for a bit more detail here. I assume the vinegar is aiding the decarboxylation needed to produce the muscimol?

More questions: does the heating have to occur in an acqueous environment, ie, is it good enough to dry the fungi at room temp, then cook them in the oven prior to consumption? And another thing that bothers me slightly is that some of the recommended drying temperatures look awfully close to the vapourisation/degradation point of muscimol. Does anyone have the real drum here? Is that possibly why smoking is not being recommended?

Lastly, exactly how easy is to confuse species? From a quick look at the photos at the Shroomery, none of the nasty types have anything like the same coloured cap as the A. Muscaria. Is it that easy or, if not, enlightenment would be appreciated!

Guest reville

Well in WA theres no muscaria yet but there are dozens on amanita species - some look like muscaria without the warts.

In scat from potoroos, on researcher found the spores of 70 species of amanita at Two peoples bay (?). This marsupial feeds almost exclusively on fungi.

A few people i know ate Amanita xanthocephala thinking it to be A citro (whatever) an edible species. Lucky it wasnt poisonous and actually they say it was quite good.Tick another one on the list of unknowns

Dont do this at home kiddies.

The vinegar should aid the change from ibotenic acid to muscimol (indeed, decarboxylation and dehydration).

Heat treatment (with a little vinegar added) after drying should work but I would do the drying with heat because of a personal dislike of complicated processing. The optimal temperature for the drying would be between 80 and 90 degrees Centigrade/Celsius.

I don't know anyone who has tried tea and smoke who chose to try the foul-tasting smoke again. However vapourisation may be more effective.

By all the Gods reville, you mean A. citrina? Someone found something that looked like the False Death Cap so they gave it a try? The Gods look after fools. Of course, some Amanitas are the most sought-after delicacies. A. citrina should be an antidepressive if I remember correctly. Weird family those Amanitas.

Oh, and for cultivation I would try making a sporeprint in a glass vessel then mixing with pure water and applying liberally to the soil immediately it is prepared. Preferably a completely sterile Betula nana.

The vinegar should aid the change from ibotenic acid to muscimol (indeed, decarboxylation and dehydration).

So what about simply boiling up fresh material (maybe with some acid to help the process), straining, condensing the solution down to manageable proportions, then storing it in the freezer? In other words, why does everyone talk about oven drying?

Possible, but the change is both dehydration and decarboxylation so it is much more efficient to dry the mushroom, removing one of the products of the reaction.

Personally, never have tried muscaria - I was told it leads to such and such failure in the body.

Are there and gnomes whose tongues aren't being eaten by cats please describe their experience. Pls smile.gif

Spankyou

Guest reville

By all the Gods reville, you mean A. citrina?  Someone found something that looked like the False Death Cap so they gave it a try?.

Sure did. Not something id do but seeing as how A xanthocephala is comon across southern australia and easily recognisable its good info we now have.

Originally posted by Smiling Cloud:

My gnome and his friend, who is also made of cement, ate some.  I don't really think you could have a bad trip on it.  You just cease thinking and movement is extremely difficult, but quite relaxing all the same.  My gnome says go nibble a couple.  10g dried should get you high-flying.

Uhhh, Your gnome friend must be from cement indeed, as my penguin told me once that he felt like he could almost fly when walking and running. Everything seemd lighter then normal + the euphoria was pretty nice too.

HE ingested 10 grams dried.

Pffft, silly psychedelic penguin! smile.gif