The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

temp. paralysis from goldtops.

on a couple ov occasions, when ingesting large amounts 10gm+ ov dried goldtops; the wife & i have both expeerienced paralysis on the come down. her in her hands & i in my legs- to the extent i was physically unable to walk & she was unable to unlock the cardoor, let alone drive.

on both occasions the wild shrooms were picked probably 2 days after flowering & were pretty waterlogged.

they were mainly taken dry in capsules, & 1 time they were mixed, dried, w/red wine.

the shrooms worked- goog trips, just a paralysed comedown.

anyone had similar? or know why?

Ive read many reports of this occuring with strong experiences on Psilocybe Azurescens.

Muscle aching and paralysis are common with this mushroom. Never ahd that with cubies though.

used to happen to me to, untill I found it to be low blood sugar levels. easily fixed with some honey.

well it's good to know it's not just me.

i'm not sure about the sugar, my memories not great, but i think i remember eating some chocolate cake on the wine trip come-down w/no effect. thanx though- it's in my mind for next time.

I should elaborate.... it's not just the blood sugar, but the feeling of cold. Whether this cold is due to living in tasmania, or whether it is due to not having enough enegy reserves doesn't seem to matter. However, even in the coldest climate you may prevent cramps by making sure sugar levels are high. Also, they don't appear out of nowhere.... if you pay attention you can actually feel your muscles going 'hard' quite a while before the cramping starts.

actually that does make sense- the worst time was the morning after an outdoor rave.

yeah, you can feel it coming on, but those high doses knock me into a mental space where most co-ordinated movement is a distraction/impossible.

Guest reville

10g dry is pretty hard! even for wild picked.

Half that amount of cultivated ones can be 'too much'.

Well it's not really a paralysis story, but I have managed to black out and experience memory loss after over-doing fresh Ps. Subs. The weird part of this experience is that I consumed them as a puree in an alcoholic drink, with my teeth screaming and my pupils going ballistic in less than 5 minutes. I couldn't believe the speed of absorption; it must have started occurring before the drink hit the stomach. And then it was essentially all over after 2 hours.

Ive heard reports of blackouts too every now and then. Makes my pupils scream just reading about it. Ive never had either. I do get the shivers and often get hot and cold flushes. The main issue i have is stomach problems and the fidgets... Imodium and a quick stroll in the parklands solves those probs.

10grams dry is like two full dinner plates of dry material. That is a lot of chewing!

yeah 10g is alot. usually 5gm ov good gold tops is way more than enough. however, these particular ones had been out for at least 2 days, they were throughly waterlogged- heavy rains & generally didn't seem that strong.

i guess the age & water broke down some ov the psiliocybin. what my question was wondering was if there were any chemicals in shrooms which may accumulate with age/breakdown/quantity that may cause paralysis.

Putrefaction produces a wide range of nasties. I don't think the breakdown products of psilocin in old mushrooms have been studied but the best advice is always eat them fresh, whether they are oyster mushrooms or whatever.

i wouldn't have said those shrooms were putrid, but your advice deserves a post ov it's own, Theo.

In heavily picked areas, you're probably OK, but if you find an area that's undisturbed it's quite likely they'll be shrooms in all stages present. i got greedy that time & picked everything i could see.

the result was many older, waterlogged shrooms that were a pain in the arse to dry out w/out mould, & then were only fully trippy in the 10gm dose range.

now i'm more selective when i pick & go for fresh as you suggest.

Ive never been partial to older mushrooms - the only time ive injested is when dried and powdered. I didnt have any after effects. I was just reading something on the shroomey of interest to this topic.

ill find the link and post it.

Originally posted by nabraxas:

on a couple ov occasions, when ingesting large amounts 10gm+ ov dried goldtops; the wife & i have both expeerienced paralysis on the come down. her in her hands & i in my legs- to the extent i was physically unable to walk & she was unable to unlock the cardoor, let alone drive.

on both occasions the wild shrooms were picked probably 2 days after flowering & were pretty waterlogged.

they were mainly taken dry in capsules, & 1 time they were mixed, dried, w/red wine.

the shrooms worked- goog trips, just a paralysed comedown.

anyone had similar? or know why?

By the sounds of it; you said the mushrooms were old and waterlogged. This makes them difficult to transport as they bruise easily and will start to go bad within a couple of hours. Drying would need to be done as fast as possible to prevent the psycoactive compounds from deteriating and to prevent toxins from being present after drying. It is these toxins that induce paralysis. You said that you dried the mushrooms in the oven; I find that the best way to dry them is with a fan heater with mushrooms spead accross a large sheet of paper. The hot dry air of the fan blowing speeds up the drying proccess before degradation occurs. The level of heat is also not enough to affect the psycoactive compounds, compared to the oven method. (Paper also helps to make sure that the mushrooms dry evenly throughout.)

Even fan assisted ovens are no good!

Originally posted by theobromos:

Putrefaction produces a wide range of nasties. I don't think the breakdown products of psilocin in old mushrooms have been studied but the best advice is always eat them fresh, whether they are oyster mushrooms or whatever.

I agree about the mushroom breaking down and creating toxic by-products. I don't agree about always eating them fresh. Eating them fresh will make a more interesting trip as there will be a few subtle compounds present which are destroyed within a couple of hours after picking, and you are communing on the land in which the mushroom grows wich helps to create a more magical experience, BUT there will also be a few toxic compounds, which are otherwise broken down and ineffectual after drying. There is also a thin layer of wax on the outer surface of the mushrooms that can induce stomach pains. After drying the seal of wax breaks up which makes for more easy digestion. More importantly how are you going to have a year round supply of consciousness expanding medicine in your cabinet! I hope anyone reading knows that we are talking specifically about gold tops, and that this is not applicable to all psycadelic mushrooms; as many can be seriously toxic if not prepared properly. This can result in a negative trip, which will not do justice to the mushroom.

[This message has been edited by Johnny (edited 14 December 2002).]