The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Cadaver

Hoodia gordonii plants?

I am after one or two medium or small sized plants of the afore mentioned species. I have a large range of stuff for trade so pm me or email me.

Thanks!

darcy

im also interested in any size

havnt had much luck germinating from seed

any tips with this also would be greatly appreciated

Yeah, germinating with seed can be a real bitch. I've only acheived at best 50% germination with hoodia. Also, there is a VERY fine line between watering and bringing on the dreaded stem rot!

However, once they are established and get to the 10 - 15cm tall stage they are a lot hardier, and start to pup. :D

Hmmm.... strange,

Out of the 5 seeds I planted, 4 came up withing a week or two.

Maybe my batch was very fresh?

I just used cactus mix, I even germinated a seed in the sandy crack between the wall and the concrete slab (builders sand)

I could send some of my seed, maybe.

:confused:

I think at the moment, the plants are probably rather hard to get. About a year ago, I got mine from Lester Meyers, rather cheap for the size actually. But these days I think it has become rather scarce due to the increased interest. Perhaps seeds are the only way to go for a couple more years until people have developed a good supply from cuttings, pupping, etc. (and if they want to part with any)

Agamemnon, you seem to have experience with these, could you tell me more about their watering needs while seedlings? ie. how often, how much, fertiliser? I have 3 (out of 10 seeds) and don't want to lose any.

Cheers,

Jon

EDIT: by the way, Lester doesn't have any more Hoodia gordonii, but still has other Hoodia sp.

[ 14. May 2004, 00:38: Message edited by: Cacti Master ]

yeah i cant rememebr where i ordered mine from i have only a few left (4 from memory) ill give them a go and if i still ahve no luck im sure i could find something to trade with you ed.

how long did they take to germinate?

I have some hoodia seeds for trade if anyone is interested. I'd say a 50% rate is about average on germination. I'm looking for rare seeds or items of interest.

Stoney

My 4 little hoodias are still surviving under artificial light.

had them in the sun for a while, but they didn't look so good, so I'm going to keep them under light in winter and put them out in spring.

A small remark re diet properties of hoodia:

have been taking hoodia pills, the strongest ones available, and they really worked in the beginning and helped me loose some weight.

however, i find, some tolerance developes after a while, and, unless you have a break taking them, they will cease working.

I would recommend combining them with other slimming pills, perhaps spirulina, which I haven't tried yet.

I have as yet to find out if homemade extract from this cacti works better...

that's when mine are big and numerous enough...

Hoodias don't like full sun when they are small. Let them get older and they will like it fine. The way you tell if they are getting too much sun or too much light is if they start to turn brown on the side exposed to the light. Red is worse and a singed area that looks dead is worse yet. I put some in the window with indirect sun and turn them now and then. Every couple weeks I swap them with some that are in a less bright location. They seem to enjoy their time in the bright light but can't take it all the time. After a year you should have some that are 3 to 5" tall and maybe an inch thick. That's much faster than lophos and faster than san pedro seedlings.

Stoney

i sourced seeds from various traders,

only one out of more than 12 came up,

and that was definately because old hoodia seed's are useless.

allways ask, if they are fresh,

if not you waste your time!

True... I put in 4 or 5 seeds and none came up... must have been old...

I keep my hoodia seeds in the fridge. Seeds can keep for years if properly stored. I get 50% germ on average, in fact probably a little more than 50%. Out of the last 17 seeds I started I got 9 sprouts. That was within the last couple weeks that i germed them and may get one or two more to come up. I have been growing them for a little less than a year and already have some over 3" tall and close to an inch thick. One is about 4" now. I'd recommend starting a whole bunch of seeds and growing about 20 plants or more if you have the room. You can put 20 in a tray of the size 20cm x 10cm and they will be fine at least until they get a year old. If you have little experience with cacti you might want to just start about 10 seeds and see how you do with them. If you only start 5 seeds you might get none or all 5 so I recommend starting at least 10.

I'm in the states but seeds are no problem to send. I have a stealth method that has never failed. It always manages to get past customs unobserved.

Stoney

stony, i started copying your stealth approach!

it worx's.

:P :cool: