The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spiders

Ps.Cyanescens in Australia even less likely.

Recentally i started a post somewhere regarding Ps.Cyanescens being reported in Australia. The mushroom in question resembles Ps.Cyanescens in many ways and we endeavoured to have it identified.

The gills of this mushroom were examined using KOH to determine its identity. As I have already posted, the mushroom displayed hyaline pluerocystidia shaped lageniform to ventricose - characteristics of native Australian psilocybes ps.Subaeruginosa, Ps.Eucalypta, and Ps.Australiana and not Ps.Cyanescens.

Secondly, spore measurements from Reville and Workman at Sporeworks displayed similarities between the spores of the wavy cap and other Australian psilocybes - with a spore size larger than that of Ps.Cyanescens.

Finally there is a marked difference in reports of the potency of the Aussie and NZ wavy-cap and that of Ps.Cyanescens (recentally found by John Allen and others to be the most potent mushroom in the world).

General reports in Australia and New Zealand have found the wavy cap to be of similar or lesser potency to other Australian woodloving psilocybes and far lower than Ps.Cyanescens.

A general high dosage of Ps.Cyanescens is suggested as dried 1 gram - 3-5 specimens whereas the high dosage for aussie wavy-caps is reported as 18-20+ fresh specimens.

i've spotted some of these wavy cyan lookalikes around here, in fact i think there might be some of them in the samples i sent unto thee.

Hi WD - i still havent got your package.

I wondering whether these wavy-caps are an existing species identified by Guzman or something new.