The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest d0tb0y

Wanted: Large containers

Guest d0tb0y

Hi there,

Looking for large sealed (ie has a lid) containers that can tolerate ~130c, to be used for steam distillation. Something like those 20L Acetone tins from bunnings, that has a lid that i can use to attach a condernsor onto.

Or something similar. Really need to steam distill, live in brisbane and am able to pick up anything that can be used.

Was considering a large glass demijohn from the brewstore, but it appears soda glass will crack during heating.

Please help. :)

[ 30. September 2005, 04:26: Message edited by: d0tb0y/n00dle ]

Have you tried an automotive repair shop ? Oil comes in those and bigger.Possibly try a paint(automotive) supplier , they sell solvents by the litre in many size drums , just buy the empty drum.

Guest d0tb0y

Hmm, i'll check that out.

I might try fish and chip shops first because thier oil drums only had edible oil in it.

Not that the steam distillation product will be internally consumed, but i guess, just paranioa/fear of irritation.

Try your local op-shops for an old vacola unit.I picked one up with 24 x 1pint jars for zip

Hi mate,

If you are interested on making your own distialation rig have a read of the below .pdf, with so many people asking about making distilation devices I thought I would post it here for all to grab.

DIY_Alcohol_Distillation_Device.pdf

It will be up for 2 weeks so grab it while you can.

Sorry missed the distillation part, thought you wanted it for sterlilisation.

Well soda/coke/pepsi stainless container the kind that soda drink despnsers use, like in drive inns or movies have a long stainless tube directly to the bottom and are stainless except some have a plastic top..

Can be picked cheap at a flea market for 5$.

The fixtures are hard to have connection to, but for steam sterializtion a speedometer cable from a car won't leak if connectected to a pressurecooker for steam sterilization to the softdrink container.

Getting the grease out can be a problem with the cable.

Some of the softdrink container have a plastic rather than a stainless steel top.

But the tops lock well since they have to be pressurized with CO2.